proper 'breathing' in pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2013
i've discovered that DD sort of holds her breath during the entire pitching motion which is bad since it creates tension as opposed to being loose and relaxed.

i''ve told her to exhale during the backswing, inhale during the arm circle and exhale at release

but i'm just a bucket dad :)

can someone enlighten this?

TIA!

Jan 12, 2012
A, A
I've never discussed breathing with my daughter. I'm pretty sure she does breathe when she pitches though

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Exhaling, starting at the 12:00ish position and through the release is important. It will allow the body to fully explode. In martial arts, this is a well know fact. People automatically associate the phrase "high-yah" with a martial artist performing some kind of strike. Whether it be breaking a board or throwing a punch. The muscles need extra oxygen and blood when exerting maximum efforts, breathing helps to supply that.
I teach my students to count 1-2 in their motion. Primarily for timing and rhythm but also for breathing. 1. Inhale in the stride, then once they've landed the front leg and are starting to firm up, 2. exhale violently through their mouth as they're pulling the arms downward into the release....

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
Reminds me of a golf trick we pull on guys when we are playing. You ask a guy with the hot putter if he inhales or exhales when he hits the ball. The guy will start overthinking it, and his putter will go cold.

Moral of the story...Don't give them too much to think about. You will mind F$%*# your pitchers.

Jun 19, 2013
DD's first pitching coach who was a juco and then D1 pitcher insisted on a grunt when they pitched to force the breathing. As we continued learning and moved on from that coach she dropped the grunt, but every once in a while when she's real mad I'll hear it. What is your experience with pitchers who grunt???

Jun 7, 2013
Exhaling, starting at the 12:00ish position and through the release is important. It will allow the body to fully explode. In martial arts, this is a well know fact. People automatically associate the phrase "high-yah" with a martial artist performing some kind of strike. Whether it be breaking a board or throwing a punch. The muscles need extra oxygen and blood when exerting maximum efforts, breathing helps to supply that.
I teach my students to count 1-2 in their motion. Primarily for timing and rhythm but also for breathing. 1. Inhale in the stride, then once they've landed the front leg and are starting to firm up, 2. exhale violently through their mouth as they're pulling the arms downward into the release....

This is so ironic!!! This is exactly the technique I use to write my DFP posts! :)

Sep 10, 2013
DD's first pitching coach who was a juco and then D1 pitcher insisted on a grunt when they pitched to force the breathing. As we continued learning and moved on from that coach she dropped the grunt, but every once in a while when she's real mad I'll hear it. What is your experience with pitchers who grunt???

grunting would be exhaling at ball release - same thing doing push ups where you would exhale during the up/power stroke. my DD just refuses to grunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd