progression for teaching NEW kids?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 24, 2013
I just basically need an idea, an education on starting from scratch with a noob, or restarting a bad swing... do this drill, teach this skill, then this, then this... building blocks...

so many of the discussions on here are either for advanced swings... OR fixing problems... well, how about I dont ruin her swing in the first place! Thanks Gator Girl

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I just basically need an idea, an education on starting from scratch with a noob, or restarting a bad swing... do this drill, teach this skill, then this, then this... building blocks...

so many of the discussions on here are either for advanced swings... OR fixing problems... well, how about I dont ruin her swing in the first place! Thanks Gator Girl

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/16315-elite-baseball.html

FWIW, I just started on this with my 9 year old. Enter that thread at your own peril though. ;)

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA

If you're looking for beginning building blocks, search YouTube for Suzy Willemssen videos (there are about 15 of them). Even though they're a few years old, her explanations of basic swing mechanics, and (more importantly) her correction drills for new hitters is really solid.

She also has videos for throwing and fielding that are good. I suggest these to new coaches/dads at the clinics I run.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
This may sound crazy now but, first teach your DD how to throw correctly. Start with a tennis ball or baseball. Don't start with a 11'' softball. Search the fielding thread/training thread. Throwing is the base for hitting. Look at the girls who throw well are they the best hitters? Teach your players to throw correctly. Ask SL and SBfamily how important throwing is to hitting.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
RD
I do 4 throwing drills first before every lesson. I have girls that did not play in the field, only pitched or played first base until I worked with them on throwing.
It takes time and practice on their part.

Everyone of them up'd their game from being a better thrower. One plays third base now and another starts in the outfield.

If they do something goofy in the throw those same mechanics will be in their hitting.

Straightleg

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
AGREE ^^^ then P&C...catching... if they shy away from a ball coming fast, w/ glove on and are jumping out of the way, they'll do the same in the box...

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Can people vouch for the Bustos vids? I was curious but then when I saw she took the previews off of youtube I didn't want to try one out site unseen

My biggest issue with the Bustos hitting video is that she teaches pushing the knob forward.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1