Problem with rotational hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
Hi;

I got a rotational hitting DVD from a friend in US. The DVD is very good for my under 12 player. They can hit well the ball from waist level and above. The problem is they fail to hit knee level of the pitch ball and always being strike out because of that. I always drill them with hitting above a rope that I tied to a fence to get a level bat during hitting.

I hope someone can give me some advice on this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The following drill is meant to promote a diagonal barrel.

iz6wt4.jpg

2r4048y.gif

67jd7b.gif

Watch video the hands are always above the bat , so the level bat is an issue.

Exactly! There is no such thing as swinging level, the only time your bat would approach level would be a ball at the very top of the zone and probably out of the zone. Think about how low your hands would have to be to have a level swing at a knee high pitch you would look silly.

After doing this drill a while incorporate some front toss with low and outside tosses and make sure she maintains form and does not begin lunging or castings.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Hi;

I got a rotational hitting DVD from a friend in US. The DVD is very good for my under 12 player. They can hit well the ball from waist level and above. The problem is they fail to hit knee level of the pitch ball and always being strike out because of that. I always drill them with hitting above a rope that I tied to a fence to get a level bat during hitting.

I hope someone can give me some advice on this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Explain to me how with a level bat can a player hit a ball at the knees.... maybe that is why your girls are striking out on the low pitches.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Explain to me how with a level bat can a player hit a ball at the knees.... maybe that is why your girls are striking out on the low pitches.

Yeah, the post came across as someone "throwing out a softball" (i.e., an easy question to answer) ... the problem statement included a probable cause for the issue. To answer your question ... picture if you would a batter squatting in the woods to take a dump ... not a pretty picture ... and neither is a level swing approach.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1