Problem With Rawlings Catcher's Mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2010
The webbing on my daughter's Rawlings mitt looks funky like it has collapsed. I wonder if this is not a good situation for receiving/fielding? It has the open "H" style web. I wonder if going to a solid webbing would prevent this from happening?

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture001-1.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions for a 32-33 FP mitt to replace it?

Jan 28, 2010
Mitt Problems

Well she catches ok with it but sometimes she "flubs" the ball and I wonder if that webbing being out of sorts may cause her some problems.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You know who can tell you, is Bretman. He repairs gloves. But, that looks good to me. I think that is how the pocket is supposed to be.

Mar 13, 2010
One thing I've been told since I started playing is a poor workman always blames his tools.

Of course I cried for weeks when my 15 year old mitt got stolen. I loved that mitt, it was like my hand. My current glove is three years old and is still hard to break in.

Her mitt looks fine to me. That is how it's meant to be on gloves. They're not supposed to be perfect.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I do see quite a few "H" webs that get bent out of shape, compared to other web styles. It just seems to be "the nature of the beast". The "H" web has fewer connecting points with the glove than do full webs and, where it does connect, the connection is only strands of lace without any real overlap of the web and shell.

Normally I would consider something like this as a cosmetic defect and not one that should affect the actual function of the glove. But then again, I'm not the person that has to use it!

"H" webs do have their advantages. They are lighter than full webs. They do a good job of stopping ball spin and that can help the ball stick in the web better. And, if you scoop up a lot of dirt on along with the ball, the dirt falls through the back so it's less likely to interfere with the transfer to the throwing hand.

One place where these webs can get bent out of shape is at the point where the two vertical bars attach at the top of the web (where your's looks to be "collapsed"). Some "H" webs attach the two bars with a sewn seam, others use lacing. The ones that sew the bars in seem to deform more once the leather stretches out in that area from use. The ones that are laced in seem to stay a little more rigid in that area.

The lace that holds these webs in runs through both the vertical and horizontal bars in a tricky pattern, and they're kind of buried in there where you can't really see them. It is possible that a lace is broken inside the web and you just can't see it. The laces might also be stretched, which is normal with use. If the laces are stretched, but in otherwise good shape, having them tightened may fix this problem. If that doesn't work, having new laces installed in the web should get the web back to a shape and form more like a new glove.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I think the ball in glove picture explains the glove shape. All gloves as they break in develop a "hinge". You will see creases along the palm and the "hinge" that the gloves closes around the ball extends up thru the fingers of the glove. The bulge of the pocket extends around the ball. Then the pocket closes tight at the hinge.
All this said, this appears to be normal and only cosmetic. This type of wear is fairly typical of the "H" web. You didn't mention your catcher's age. Typically older catchers look for a loud "pop" of the ball contacting the glove when pitched. Typically "H" webs won't have this pop. Full webs tend to have a fairly loud "pop" which seems to be desire by older players. The pitchers like the pop as it tends to be intimidating and adds to the strength of their pitches. the Worth mitts tend to pop very loudly that can make a 40 MPH change up sound like a 67 MPH fastball. (They are also difficult to break in)

As Bretman said, there could be underlying issues, but with what is shown in the pictures, the wear appears to be strictly cosmetic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck