private lessons during season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
I'm debating if we should continue with private hitting lessons now that spring is here. Do you all continue with lessons during the season? We'll be going to three 2 hour practices for 14U (with an optional 1/2 hour to practice whatever you want to focus on). There will be another practice on weekends if there is not a tournament going on. We have paid for three more sessions but with the cost of lessons etc... I'm debating on stopping or taking DD every other week.
Thanks,
"Mr. Indecisive"

Jul 26, 2010
It depends on your instructor and the kid. There's absolutely nothing wrong with cutting down on the lessons or forgoing them entirely, so long as the kid continues to practice and use correct mechanics.

I let my own daughter continue her weekly hitting lessons. Her instructor is very, very good about talking to her about how she did the prior weekend, her successes, and her struggles, and he then tailors the lesson accordingly. He will work on mechanical swing issues (no such thing as a perfect swing, there is always room for improvement) in a way that does not interfere very much with game performance by picking one single thing to work on mechanically, and then will move on to scenarios that mimicked what she struggled with, be it change-ups, speed, rise balls, hitting the ball on the ground for whatever reason, ect.

If your hitting instructor is teaching inside a bubble in regards to your daughters real-world playing, then it would be a different situation.

-W

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Several factors should be considered before making a decision. Is the cost of the hitting lessons a concern? How booked is your hitting instructor? If you stop going or try to cut back the number of lessons would you lose your spot on the hitting instructors calendar? Can you work out the scheduled to make it work? On our 14U TB team we expect every girl to take outside hitting lessons. During our practices we offer hitting stations (soft toss, front toss, heavy balls) and live pitching, but the mechanics of each girls swing is her, her parents and her hitting coaches responsibility. I am NOT a hitting instructor, and while I may offer some suggestions, it is the player and parents responsibility to figure out what works best for their DD.

Sep 17, 2009
If you paid for three more lessons why not hold onto them and use them as "fix-up" sessions. If you have to preschedule, schedule one per month over the spring/early summer.

BUT...since she is used to doing hitting "sessions" keep those up. Maybe use that half hour with the team or just do it on your own in the garage. Have her remember what her HC has taught her but she should be able to work on her own and see results/maintain improvement. That sort of tee, soft-toss work will keep her zoned in as she faces pitchers trying to get her out.

Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for all of the replies. Yes, the cost is a factor as I have already spent about 2K this year already on dues, lessons, etc... but I know I'm singing to the choir:) I think then what I'll do is maybe a lesson every few weeks or so. Her coach, like yours Starsnuffer, is outstanding for the mental part of her game. She went through the same travel organization, is fresh out of D1 ball and really spends a lot of time discussing my DD's successes, struggles and expectations before the lesson starts. This is the main reason why I would want her to continue.

Oct 10, 2011
I would do all front toss, live pitching (or even a hitaway stick) during a season.

I would only use tees to warm up. Over doing tees can freeze your eyes and swing plane, keeping you from timing some of the pitches and hitting movement, unless you specifically move the tee.

Good point... I never thought about that. They do a lot of hitting off live pitching, and I can work on the other things on the other days. What are your thoughts on pitching machines for practice?

Mar 6, 2009
Just going to throw this out there.... If most of the best golfers in the world see their swing coach during the season, why wouldn't the same apply here? The MLB teams don't just layoff their hitting coaches during the season either.

Bill

Sep 17, 2009
Just going to throw this out there.... If most of the best golfers in the world see their swing coach during the season, why wouldn't the same apply here? The MLB teams don't just layoff their hitting coaches during the season either.

Bill

$$$$$$$$$$

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD is one of those players that if it works in a game she will keep doing it and develops a lot of bad habits in a short amount of time. Easy example is pitching with her eyes closed. :) Easier and better in the long run, and short term, to stay on top of what she is doing before they become a habit. That is why we need the instructor during the season.

Not looking for any major changes just want to stay the course. Cost and time does becomes a factor for us too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish