Pressure Points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2014
CALIFORNIA
Please help me with the mechanics of throwing pitches with pressure points. Trying to introduce my daughter to a cutter and running fastball. I would like pictures of grips and any other pertinent info, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I made a New Year's Resolution not to post sarcastic comments. So, I will let other people handle this topic.

Just for my own edification, how old is your DD?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Please help me with the mechanics of throwing pitches with pressure points. Trying to introduce my daughter to a cutter and running fastball. I would like pictures of grips and any other pertinent info, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just because some say it isn't done, doesn't mean it can't be. If core mechanics are good, then play around.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Like I said it may be part of the men's game, and if you want to go that route, go see him for a lesson. But a tailing FB does you no good in FP. The pitches need to break. And it may be fine to try those cutters and things later in the progression after learning the spinning pitches.
Is this because of the larger sweet spot on softball bats v baseball bats or is it just that a smaller baseball cuts more than a larger softball?

And I tend to agree with you on the cutter issue.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Maybe I'm misreading this... but if you're referring to what fingers influence the pitch... and the fingers that apply pressure, they are a great cue when learning new pitches for pitchers... really not sure why this is so comical to a few on this thread... as it's a decent and sincere question.

If I'm teaching a kid to throw a change... and she keeps whipping through release... telling her to get fer fingers forward by thinking about the thumb as the 'finger' behind the ball is what makes the lightbulb come on.

When teaching a rise or curve... is the index finger or a single pressure finger not important? I want that finger working under the ball... and if I don't put their finger on a seam and tell them to apply pressure against that seem with the index finger... few are going to figure it out themselves.

I did this yesterday with an exceptional 10-year old in clinic... although big hands help, I assure you... they are not necessary to apply some 'english' to the ball.

I encourage you all to throw some movement pitches with fingers not on a seam... and let me know how that works out for you.

Same thing with an in-cut... they use the pads of the index and middle as their primary....

When you combine this understanding with proper forearm articulations... you actually learn to throw new pitches.

And... a fb that tails in is absolutely useful... that's a bunch of bull. Throw underneath a batters hands... let me know how they do the majority of the time. Same thing with most curves... they slightly tail out... and I recall Kansas having a pretty successful outing against ULL... because of the pitchers ability to place the ball. Anyone that believes a well placed fastball isn't useful isn't watching the game... or is limiting their team as a coach.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Maybe I'm misreading this... but if you're referring to what fingers influence the pitch... and the fingers that apply pressure, they are a great cue when learning new pitches for pitchers... really not sure why this is so comical to a few on this thread... as it's a decent and sincere question.

Whoomp, there it is!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors