At first, there was one-

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
That one, being me, the only IR instructor in a county full of HE adherents spouting off about poor mechanics, shoulder injuries, or, as Chrispotts used to put it, "You pitch funny." That was four years ago, so I am quite pleased to report that at this weekend's Dunkirk tournament, all I saw were IR pitchers of varying degrees and ages. Here's to you, Chris.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
That one, being me, the only IR instructor in a county full of HE adherents spouting off about poor mechanics, shoulder injuries, or, as Chrispotts used to put it, "You pitch funny." That was four years ago, so I am quite pleased to report that at this weekend's Dunkirk tournament, all I saw were IR pitchers of varying degrees and ages. Here's to you, Chris.

The part of this "battle" that always gets me is all you gotta do is watch the best pitch. Just watch them. None of them actually use HE mechanics. I don't see how that's not the beginning and end of the entire discussion.

Aug 21, 2008
Dunkirk NY? Men's tournament or ladies? Dunkirk has hosted a men's tournament for 60 years or something, it's a long running tournament. I never knew they operated a girls event, if they did.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Dunkirk NY? Men's tournament or ladies? Dunkirk has hosted a men's tournament for 60 years or something, it's a long running tournament. I never knew they operated a girls event, if they did.
Hey Bill, yep, men were there also, different locations, but this was a ladies tournament, 12,14,16U. 2nd year, I believe.

Aug 21, 2008
Hey Bill, yep, men were there also, different locations, but this was a ladies tournament, 12,14,16U. 2nd year, I believe.
Dunkirk is one of the longest running tournaments worldwide, for men's fastpitch. The level of competition has declined a lot over the years, they used to get some really really good teams in there. I always liked it because it was 45 minutes from home for me!!! But despite the fact they never had legit umpires, the fields were scattered all over town (including some that were slowpitch size and some didn't have fences at all!!) they would get some good competition there. The tournament prize money used to be quite decent too, which is what attracted some teams. I first started going up there in the mid-late '80's. And, believe it or not, I actually pitched an entire season in Dunkirk in 1989. I played for the Westfield NY team that season. I'd pitch in Erie on Tue and Thu, then Dunkirk on Mon and Wed. I remember the championship game that year was on the radio, an actual radio broadcast from the main field. Hard to believe but I was 17 yrs old at the time. I remember we won the championship in 11 innings, 5-4 or something like that. I used to have an audio cassette of the radio broadcast but, God only knows where that is now. Anyway, sorry to hijack.. I just got flooded with memories. lol

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Dunkirk is one of the longest running tournaments worldwide, for men's fastpitch. The level of competition has declined a lot over the years, they used to get some really really good teams in there. I always liked it because it was 45 minutes from home for me!!! But despite the fact they never had legit umpires, the fields were scattered all over town (including some that were slowpitch size and some didn't have fences at all!!) they would get some good competition there. The tournament prize money used to be quite decent too, which is what attracted some teams. I first started going up there in the mid-late '80's. And, believe it or not, I actually pitched an entire season in Dunkirk in 1989. I played for the Westfield NY team that season. I'd pitch in Erie on Tue and Thu, then Dunkirk on Mon and Wed. I remember the championship game that year was on the radio, an actual radio broadcast from the main field. Hard to believe but I was 17 yrs old at the time. I remember we won the championship in 11 innings, 5-4 or something like that. I used to have an audio cassette of the radio broadcast but, God only knows where that is now. Anyway, sorry to hijack.. I just got flooded with memories. lol
No problem. I took my DD to the tournament about 4 or 5 years ago. I was actually looking for you as we had met at one of Pauly's clinics. Your old team (Erie Budweiser, I think) was there and I remember telling their 3rd base coach how impressed we were with their pitcher. I mean, the guy was good! Yeah, said the coach, not bad for a 4th stringer. :)

Aug 21, 2008
No problem. I took my DD to the tournament about 4 or 5 years ago. I was actually looking for you as we had met at one of Pauly's clinics. Your old team (Erie Budweiser, I think) was there and I remember telling their 3rd base coach how impressed we were with their pitcher. I mean, the guy was good! Yeah, said the coach, not bad for a 4th stringer. :)
I'm not getting the joke, which probably means I ruined it if it has to be explained. Sorry. Was I the 3rd base coach or pitching? A great friend was the Bud sponsor, he died a few years ago which is why Erie Bud no longer exists or goes to Dunkirk.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

Have you considered it is only yourself that has change and they are doing it exactly the same way. Little Matrix humor.😜

The shoulder is the platform, the upper arm is like the upper leg. It spirals and turns.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
I'm not getting the joke, which probably means I ruined it if it has to be explained. Sorry. Was I the 3rd base coach or pitching? A great friend was the Bud sponsor, he died a few years ago which is why Erie Bud no longer exists or goes to Dunkirk.
That's the point, it wasn't a joke. He was their 4th stringer and he was lights out. And you were not there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles