Pre Game Routine/Warm-up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
We use a pretty straight forward warm-up routine but it is getting a bit dry and I wanted to mix things up a bit this coming weekend at what we consider Regional Qualifiers here in Ontario. We currently run/jog; static stretch; dynamic stretch; throw; soft toss hitting (outfielders fielding the balls); tee hitting; and infield ground ball warm-up. We often throw in little drills to keep the girls moving. We try to use different stations, but at this upcoming qualifier (the park isn't set up well) there is little room for warm-up. Ptichers and catchers get their swings in after warming up.

We are a 16U team and warm-up for about one hour prior to game time. I usually leave 5-7 minutes before game time for the coaches chat, or cool down a bit with the heat that we have been experiencing lately. We have four persons helping coach, including me.

Any ideas on how to begin to focus the girls on the task at hand? Sort of ramping up their focus so it peaks at game time? I'm no Noote Rockney, but have an excellent rapport with the girls and when I speak, they listen. They might not be the most talented in the pool we are in, but have the ability to knock off some of the teams if their collective heads are in the game.

Suggestions?

Jan 15, 2009
That's not that different than our routine and I have always felt that pregame should be "routine". I tell the girls start and up until we come in to pitch front toss with wiffles they are on their own to go through their routine.

Mixing up your practices is a good idea. Variety spices those up and keeps energy high. The main purpose of pre-game is to get ready to play and a routine isn't necessarily bad. The Knute Rockne stuff is overrated. Girls are rarely inspired by coaches words, instructed yes, bored maybe, inspired?? again they should have some sort of pregame psych up routine that gets them fired up and doesn't involve you. Ours come in from fielding grounders and lineup and high/ low five while cheering each player in. They also have a chant they do pregame that starts low and escalates.

Mar 13, 2010
As teenagers we had music through all our warm-ups. (and if we didn't have music we'd make our own. Some of my best memories of softball are fielding during pop-up's singing my heart out with my teammates)

We also had a cheer that had some complicated clap thing going on before it. We did it at the start of every game to get everyone warmed up.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
We use music as well to try to keep the mood "light". It helps for sure, but some of today's music......man,, I gotta question how they listen to some of it. Some has a good beat though that I think helps the girls get into a "rythm" of sorts during warm-up.

Sep 17, 2009
Music, huh? I guess I AM a grouchy coach because I think there's enough to distract girls during warmups without twiddling with an iPod or chatting about what songs to play. Am I in the minority on this one?

As for warmups, if you can focus the girls not only on getting warm but * better * during warmups you've just added 40-60 short practices to your season. Even if it's just getting better at the basic (yet absolutely critical) warmup tasks of throwing, catching, bunting, swings, etc....it's the focus on doing it right that matters -- which I'm sure you're doing, 3DDs Dad, sounds like you're on the right track.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, music, but played on a boombox, so individual ipods etc are not allowed. What they do, they do as a team. So far it has worked pretty well. The girls are undefeated in league play (nothing to brag about though in my opinion as the competition isnt that great) but tournament ball somewhat different - about .500 against the better teams. They seem to lose some focus against the better teams for some reason. Intimidated maybe?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes to music. Especially for girl's teams.

I have began even encouraging some coaches (Dads) to let "my" pitchers listen to ipods, if necessary. I am thinking of one girl in particular, that gets all down on herself. I want her to relax, but I also want her to fire up.

From time to time, I see D1 coaches using this tactic.

It would be cool if all of the girls could have "walk up music."

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Ours is pretty straight forward as well. Jog, dynamic stretching, throw, then we start hitting. I change the stations somewhat from side toss into a net, to front toss with foamys. The one thing we do that is a constant is front toss with whiffle golf balls, but even with that sometimes I will have overload bats or underload bats for the drill.

Oct 21, 2009
We have one pre-game drill we like to do particularly if this is a college exposure tourny to show coaches many of the skills they are looking for. Each fielder gets 4 balls hit to them and they make 4 different throws. They get an OF fly ball and throw to Cutoff, an OF ground ball crow hop throw to Catcher, an IF ground ball and throw to Catcher, and an IF back hand ground ball and throw to Catcher.
setup: 1 outfielder 1 infielder 1 player catching next to coach hitting. Coach hits fly ball to OF, Player next to coach yells Left RIght to line up IF taking the cutoff. OF catches ball, throws to cut, cut throws to Catcher who makes tag. IF moves in to Catch position, Catcher sprints to OF queue. Coach now hits ground ball to OF who charges in, does a 'do or die' field of the ball, crow hops and throws ball to catcher (preferably 1 hop) who makes tag. OF moves into IF position now takes a ground ball and throws to Catcher who makes catch like a 1B. Then takes another ground ball on the back hand and throws to Catcher who makes catch like a 1B. Repeat sequence with next OF.
College Coaches get to see the player's ability to judge ball, arm strength and foot speed in different positions. You may have to practice this drill a little so they get the hang of it. It works well in a long narrow area.

May 12, 2010
Chicago Area
A 14u Rec / Rec All-Star prospective:

We tried to get a stretching / running routine in, lasted for about a month into the season till they got tired of it and I got tired of trying to make them do it. We've just been playing short toss to warm their arms, then front-toss with wiffles (pitcher / catcher go first so they can start warming), outfield starts at the same time as hitting, all girls who aren't batting participate, except pitcher / catcher who are warming on the side, they join when they are finished. Then a brief dugout water / rest / chalk talk time, then grounders on the dirt in front of the dugout till game time.

7 of the 9 players on our AS team were on my regular team along with all the same coaches, so they've got it down where we don't have to direct them at all on the routine. That's a big time saver. We've been having them arrive 45 - 60 mins pregame, that gives 15 mins or so of socializing before the routine starts. 14 and 15 year olds are going to spend time socializing when they first arrive whether we like it or not. Scheduling it seems to work pretty well.

I might try getting the stretching back in today, if for no other reason than I think it's good team bonding / developing leaders time...we'll see how they respond?!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez