Prayer circles after games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2011
Interesting.... you seem to be offended by the opinion that there are those out there that don't want the prayer circle invitation. I also noticed your snide comment to Screwball has been removed, did you take offense to Screw's comments? :rolleyes:

Not offended at all. Just dont understand outrage. To me , it doesnt matter if they have them or not. Wont offend me either way. As for the snide comment I made , I deleted it. No reason for me to get into a personal argument with anybody.

Nov 29, 2009
This thread needs to be locked. It's starting to get personal. That is I why I never discuss religion or politics with people in this type of forum. People's beliefs usually run strong on the subjects. There are plenty of message boards dedicated to the subjects where you can participate.

Jul 26, 2010
Can't have a logical discussion about religion, unless you're really good about having a logical discussion about Pokemon with a 5 year old. It's the same thing, really. That said, I've learned a whole lot about Pokemon from coaching t-ballers for the last two years, but I still can't say I understand it and I'm certainly in no place to judge them for it.

-W

Jul 1, 2010
DD had a coach once that had a scripture verse embroidered in small print on the side of his hat. He never said a word about it or about the kids praying, but he walked the walk and was the embodiment of what most of us aspire to in his conduct, attitude and language. His conduct spoke more about his convictions than a thousand public prayers.

Prayer circles really don't bother me either way, just don't force it on anyone or make someone feel they are weird or wrong for not participating. As far as the tunnels go, I find them condescending and outright rude. If that is the only way off the field DD will stay on the field until they are done.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
One thing I have noticed so far in the responses is "my team" from a adult as
the "owner" of kids. What about how they feel as customary in their region or
important to THEM? Not the coach or asst coaches.

What is it about a group of teenage girls inviting other girls for 30 secs of
prayer that scares adults so bad? At least they are reaching out to each other
on a personal and spiritual level. Thats what this country has lost with it's
automated customer service, and we text instead of talk.

There is zero harm in asking to join a prayer, you guys act like they are asking
to have group sex. Gezzzzz
I don't think they are asking to join some radical religious cult, or strap
bombs on their backs to eliminate the un-pure.

Do you remember where you live? This country was founded primarily on RELIGION.

In 1844, the Court said, "Christianity is part of our common law."

In 1892, the Supreme Court said this: "No purpose of action against religion can be imputed to any legislation, state or national because this is a religious people. This is historically true."

In 1930, the U.S. Supreme Court said this: "We are a Christian people, according to our motto."

In 1952, the U.S. Supreme Court said, "We are a religious people whose institutions presuppose a Supreme Being."

When you stop to buy lunch today, turn that bill over or look at your coins. And think about "why" those 4 words are on there and who all have given their lives so you enjoy your freedom everyday. "In God we trust"

Jun 21, 2010
If a team in the Bible Belt was invited into a prayer circle and then the person leading the prayer started praying to Allah, I bet a LOT of people would get offended.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Allah is simply the Arabic word for God, they do not believe "Allah" is a separate entity from the Christian God.

Dieu, French word for God.
Dios, Spanish word for God.
Yahweh, Hebrew for God.

I've learned people are most scared about things they are ignorant about.

Jul 26, 2010
When you stop to buy lunch today, turn that bill over or look at your coins. And think about "why" those 4 words are on there and who all have given their lives so you enjoy your freedom everyday. "In God we trust"

Those four words are EXACTLY why it is a problem, and exactly why it's not just "okay" to invite another team to a little prayer circle. A long time ago the people in charge found it was better just to pat the zealots on the head and say "okay you can have what you want" and allow things like those four words to be printed rather then to upset them and have the nutjobs run around screaming hellfire and damnation about the people in charge not agreeing with their beliefs.

Many kids will act the same, even though it makes them uncomfortable, they'll agree to it and suffer through it rather then risk some crazy zealots preaching to them and making all sorts of noise if denied.

Lets be honest here. Christianity (and all the other Abrahamic religions like Judaism and Islam) is a religion based on believing in a particular book that was re-written and re translated from its original form at least three times by kings and emperors who used it as a mechanism to control their subjects. I'm not saying that there isn't some basis in fact and some good lessons to be taught in such a manner, but for a lot of us, we'd rather our children be taught to figure out the world for themselves and use their own minds rather then simply do what they're told because it's an easier mechanism for those in power to exact control on those they wish to subjugate.

Now that I've preached to you about the my world views, which I'm sure you don't agree with, do you understand how those kids might feel? I'm guessing not a lot of teams decline invitations and reference believing in fairy tales or invite the other team to sacrifice a bat to the sun god before a game. I just think it would be nice to return the favor. I realize a lot of religions mandate that their loyal subjects practice evangelizing to their surrounding unwashed masses, but that does not make it any less offensive to those who believe differently.

Return the favor.

-W

Jun 21, 2010
Allah is simply the Arabic word for God, they do not believe "Allah" is a separate entity from the Christian God.

Dieu, French word for God.
Dios, Spanish word for God.
Yahweh, Hebrew for God.

I've learned people are most scared about things they are ignorant about.

Thank you for helping to make my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321