Prayer circles after games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2012
Years ago when I was an assistant little league coach my friend - the head coach - was pretty religious and he would always get the team together for a prayer before the game - real new testament stuff that he'd just make up as he went along - "please help us appreciate each other and to find fufillment in good sportsmanship" - that kind of stuff.

Then one day he couldn' make it so I got to do the prayer - so it was an OLD testament prayer "lord deliver these our opponents in your sight into our hands so that we may smite them for the Glory of your name!"

AMEN!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
To me, religion is a personal belief and function. If you choose to take it part in a group service, that is that individual's prerogative and something which is sought by the individual, not something to which someone is recruited.

Nov 29, 2009
Not much of a believer myself. But I wouldn't stop any of my players from it after all the team stuff is done. We are not in the bible belt so it's never been an issue here. About the only praying I hear from the girls is when I need a body to demonstrate a drill. Then I hear a lot of "Please God.. No me...." ;)

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I have considered it lately. I am up for it if my girls are. My daughter would like to (our family holds a strong Faith) Yet while I am faithful, I am not pushy. I believe we live by example not by forced rule or ridicule. I also believe too often we let religion get in the way of Faith; Ritual get in the way of true caring. I like praying if it is desired, honest and sincere. I do not like it if it is in vein, forced or merely a habit.

@ Deepsouth...I could not agree more. Praying is not just for the worst moments of life. Sometimes it is great to merely do it for any reason we feel led to.
@ MTR...Nicely worded. It is a personal choice and I could not agree more about loosing the recruitment. Sharing, if asked yes...Recruiting not so much.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I also believe too often we let religion get in the way of Faith; Ritual get in the way of true caring.

Years ago a friend once noted, church and religion are man-made, faith and belief are not.

Oct 19, 2009
Three of the kids that played with me are having issues one is a 3 sport all region in BB, SB and track as a sophomore in HS and It looks like her sports days maybe over. All three are good kids and I keep up with my former players and hope for the best for them all.

I’ve been soul searching for what I could have done different to help the kids stay on the right path. I guess that a few more prayers could not have hurt.

Sports is a positive influence in the life of kids, but the negative influences are always there tugging at them.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Years ago a friend once noted, church and religion are man-made, faith and belief are not.

I always say that spirituality and faith are awesome and powerful, but organized religion is one of the worst inventions in the history of humanity.

Don't force it, or you end up with inquisitions, bacon negligence, and suicide bombers.

-W

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Tunnel I oppose whole heartedly, prayer circle is up to the team,
I am not opposed, like the OP indicated, the other team will
INVITE, I leave it to the girls to accept or decline

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
How do we feel on this? Not a prayer, but surely asking for help and guidance from above.

Major League Baseball
Since the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, "God Bless America" is commonly sung during the seventh-inning stretch in Major League Baseball games, most often on Sundays, Opening Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, All-Star Game, Labor Day, September 11, and all post-season Major League Baseball games. Following the attacks, John Dever, then the Assistant Media Relations Director with the San Diego Padres, suggested the song replace "Take Me Out to the Ball Game", the more traditional 7th inning anthem. MLB quickly followed the Padres lead and instituted it league-wide for the rest of the season; presently, teams decide individually when to play the song. Yankee Stadium, Dodger Stadium, Safeco Field, and Turner Field are currently the only Major League ballparks to play "God Bless America" in every game during the seventh-inning stretch. The Yankees' YES Network and the Dodgers' telecast on Fox Sports West televises its performance during some games before going to a commercial. During major games (playoff contests, Opening Day, national holidays, or games against Boston or the Mets), the Yankees will often have Irish tenor Ronan Tynan perform the song.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
DD1's team does a prayer circle pre-game, but it is only our girls. This is the first team we have ever been on to do something like this. And we do live in the Bible Belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207