Practice scheduel what do you think

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
They are 8-9 years old. So any drills, stations or work that you do needs to be no longer than 8-9 minutes long. If it is longer they will lose focus. Just because you have 2 hours doesn't mean that you need to use all 2 hours. These girls are pretty young. Make it fun and hide the work into fun stuff.

For instance:
- Play tag for the first 5-9 minutes to warm up their legs. That is more fun for an 8-9 year old than just running.
- Have kids line up at 1st and 3rd. You stand at home, and you throw the ball to the outfield. They race to see who can get there first...Just look for fun ways to sneak the exercise & warm up in.
- You can use the game hot potato as a way to work on quick hands while still making sure that they use good form.
- Teach them how to play Pepper. Let them get into groups and play it(with a Softee ball) for 5-9 minutes every practice.
- Keep them moving or they will get bored.
- Break them into 3 groups of 4. Have 1 group work fielding form with a hands on coach, 1 group work catching fly balls and drop steps, 1 group working running home to 1st(rounding, running through, breaking down, etc.). Have them switch every 8-9 minutes(rule is 1 minute of work for each year of age, then a break).
-In between all of these give them a 30-120 second break to get a drink and just be kids. If you do then you will get a more focused player when you need it.
- Finish with your race. Bring some Halloween candy. Winning team gets 2 pieces of candy each. Losing team gets 1 piece of candy each.

Note: This is not what I would do with a 16 Showcase team, but this is a group of 8-9 year olds learning to love the game at the rec. level. There is plenty of time to become a drill sergeant when they are older(although I still believe that practice can be hard work and fun even at the upper levels of travel ball).

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2013
In rec ball field time is limited and the time goes fast. Especially with younger players. I like to kill 2 birds with one stone and use base running as my jog and or cardio. When doing base running drills I like to be sure and introduce proper fundamentals. I start about half way down the first base line and generally only run about 30-40' (from home to 1st) instead of the full 60', and a jog is fine here. No need to go full speed off the bat just get it right. You can get twice the reps with half the down time without burning there little legs out.

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas City
I really like JJS post. Keep it fun and keep them occupied. I saw a really cool concept last year with a young rec team. Every time coach called down they'd slap their gloves on the ground and yell back ready. Then they'd be in a grounder position. I liked it no kids playing in the dirt when the ball was coming into play.

Sep 2, 2013
Core Throwing- warm up throwing was Seeing balls everywhere on the ground rolling dropped balls players walking to get the ones they missed "Enough is Enough"

Installed Core Throwing (lining up in the grass with base line as the throwing starting point )
* Players Team Up 10' apart facing each other Throw to the core 10 balls (adjusting the speed to the distance IMPORTANT).
Step back 10 steps and throw another 10balls (adjusting the speed- we are making outs ! is what they hear from me)
Keep doing the 10/10 until they are at the base distance
Start back 10/10 until they are 10' apart .

If I see balls on the ground we do another set

If your plagued with missed balls throws all over the place "This will be an unbelievable Drill"
Also some girls have slipped from the right way to throw a ball - The walk over one on one is a real adjustment

Coach Grady

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii