Practice scheduel what do you think

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 27, 2016
slow jog around field -10 min
warmup - 20 min
stretch
butterflies
touch toes
touches

throw to each other- 20 min

run
1/2 team home---1st base 10 min
1/2 team 2nd-----home alternate
each player 4 trips

hit/field 50 min

end
divide team
1/2 girls at second
1/2 girls home do relay 10 min
meeting with girls
go home 10 min

we only get 2 hrs

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas City
Just from what I've seen with our coaches is stations. A quick warm up about 15 min of throwing. Then they break them up tee work, soft toss, live pitching, catchers are working with the pitchers. Then the rest are doing fielding and situational defense. Then they rotate thru usually a bucket of balls at each hitting station. If they are running they are running bases as they would in a game with a coach calling out what they want them to do. This seems to really eliminate any down time. We have 4 coaches so working in smaller groups seems to allow for more personal coaching with each girl on what they are wanting them to do and when. We do all our conditioning at home and make sure she is stretched and ready when we arrive.

Sep 29, 2014
For my practices we got an hour that meant if practice was at 5. Kids show up around 4:40 as you show up you pair up and start tossing at 4:55 warm up circle team stretches at 5 take a lap and we either hit the field or batting stations usually split between the two then last 15mins situational hitting and base running...I would not know what to do with 2 hours although we had that for All Stars and it was just amazing the progress daily practices for two hours for three or four weeks can do. Which still amazes me when I hear some of the talk about college teams (in another thread) that can't make simple plays when you get to the really bad teams...they are practicing every day and have played most of their lives.

I know warm up is important but to spend an hour not playing ball is probably too long I would cut my warm-up ball tossing, running at the beginning to no more than 30 mins all together but that's just me.

Last edited:

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
warmup - 20 min
stretch
butterflies
touch toes
touches

run
1/2 team home---1st base 10 min
1/2 team 2nd-----home alternate
each player 4 trips

hit/field 50 min

end
divide team
1/2 girls at second
1/2 girls home do relay 10 min
meeting with girls
go home 10 min

we only get 2 hrs

What age group and what level(Rec, C, B, A)?

Jun 12, 2015
I love stations. I prefer practices where girls are not doing any standing around. Small groups working at different skills in multiple areas, so they're not standing in a line of 6 girls waiting to stop a grounder, then going to the back of the line or whatever.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
warmup - 20 min
stretch
butterflies
touch toes
touches

Your warm up likely wouldn't take this long if you tried. A 10min warm up jog is probably more than a mile and softball isn't exactly an endurance sport. 20 min for a warm up that doesn't include jogging or throwing is a very long time as well.

I think 20 min throwing is actually ok since throwing and catching are basically the foundation of defense. That being said it needs to be structured time where you teach them to throw or are doing team drills - like throwing base to base working on footwork. If you send the girls out to throw to warm up it will probably take them 10 min MAX.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Warm ups: Forget toe touches and all the 70's stretches... 10 minute dynamic warm up is a much better choice. here are some samples of exercises you should be doing - pick and choose for lots of variety
10-Minute Dynamic Warm-Up for Any Workout | STACK

Throwing - we get throw our complete throwing progressions in about 10 minutes at most. Again variety once they start to get warmer... long toss/ fielding, moving to the ball, field and rotates... we generally do one up and down the line to finish (until they go clear is normal)

Unless you are teaching base running, base running should be incorporated into other drills. With 12 we like to do 3 groups - one hitting/running, one infield and one outfield/3B as a good setup. This is great for situational teaching as well (not specifically but as they play)

If you are teaching base running, then you have 3 groups running from 1st, 2nd and 3rd so less hanging about. Because more running, 10-15 max.

Hitting should be in multiple stations - same with fielding. We have a max 4 per station rule - we prefer 3. No standing about. Fielding much the same. We often have a second 1st base about 10' apart so you can have two lines throwing to first.

You should have close to 100 minutes of 120 doing fielding/hitting/running.

End of practice - quick game on skills we have been doing. End of practice meeting - less than 1 minute (next practice, game times, good and bad quickly from practice, go home)

Feb 27, 2016
sorry i left some info out
girls are 8-9 years old
rec ball, some are coming from t-ball
1 hr practice during week
2 hr on weekends
thanks for all the info

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2014
The thing that jumps out at me is the 20 minutes of throwing. 20 minutes is eternity. Heck, 10 minutes of throwing is a LONG time.

Just be aware that time will NOT fly in practice.

Sep 29, 2014
Well given we are talking 8-9yr old rec making sure they can throw/catch and run the bases is not as terrible as it first sounded...see context is everything. Teach the basics of proper fielding and hitting.

At this phase teaching the game is important too, making sure they understand when and where to throw the ball, when to run and not etc.

If they leave after this year having the fundamental skills and knowledge of the game and they have FUN...you are a successful coach!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors