practice bat drag- before / after

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Since I am new to this site, are you telling me Tom does not teach nor is an instructor?

No wonder he references everyone elses work....thanks for clearing this up for me!

Thanks Howard

If Tom doesn't teach/coach and obviously not trying to learn what is the real purpose of his posts?

Jul 11, 2009
If Tom doesn't teach/coach and obviously not trying to learn what is the real purpose of his posts?

Apparently just to see how confused he can make everyone. Other than trying to impress everyone with his vast knowledge of big words that mean absolutely nothing to the average person on here trying to learn things in simple terms, I have no idea what his agenda is. I have taken my daughter to a clinic that Hitter put on and was frankly quite impressed. And has anyone other than me noticed how there seems to be a greater number of newbies asking questions and posting vids of there dd's? Could be just the upcoming season or could be Hitters willingness and passion to help in simple terms that most can understand.

Jul 17, 2008
Since I am new to this site, are you telling me Tom does not teach nor is an instructor?

I don't know the guy.

Some people I do know and respect tell me emphatically that he never works with kids. I certainly have seen him called on it a number of times, and outside of indicating he worked with kids in the distant past (wood bat era), he hasn't asserted otherwise.

And has anyone other than me noticed how there seems to be a greater number of newbies asking questions and posting vids of there dd's? Could be just the upcoming season or could be Hitters willingness and passion to help in simple terms that most can understand.

I don't know Howard, either, but have a different opinion of him because it seems obvious to me that his motives are actually engaging with kids.

No doubt, there are people out there who want assistance. Demonstrate you care. Show what you have been working on has worked for others. And be willing to engage. If you do those things, I think people will absolutely look to you for guidance. Great that Howard is willing to help.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Howard -

I have worked with kids up through college age for years.

I understand the visual and balance systems pretty well.

Most of this vision stuff is just bogus and works by the dumbo magic feather effect which IS powerful.

You can jazz kids up with strobes and blindfolds and painted balls and numbers and all sorts of cool stuff.

It IS a good idead to check and correct vision.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I don't know the guy.

Some people I do know and respect tell me emphatically that he never works with kids. I certainly have seen him called on it a number of times, and outside of indicating he worked with kids in the distant past (wood bat era), he hasn't asserted otherwise.

I don't know Howard, either, but have a different opinion of him because it seems obvious to me that his motives are actually engaging with kids.

No doubt, there are people out there who want assistance. Demonstrate you care. Show what you have been working on has worked for others. And be willing to engage. If you do those things, I think people will absolutely look to you for guidance. Great that Howard is willing to help.

Thanks for the heads up...I have received emails, Pm's and phone calls about him and appreciate the heads up.

I feel I understand what works and what does not and enough data to help the kids take it to the next level and that data is the kids them self!

Thanks Howard

Oct 29, 2008
I feel I understand what works and what does not and enough data to help the kids take it to the next level and that data is the kids them self!

I think you do, too. There is so much to be gained from working (hands on, not reviewing video) with kids. The things I find which most require experience are:

1) Knowing how to fix problems without creating unintended consequences (it is SO easy to get onto a slippery slope).

2) When multiple problems exist, knowing the order which is best to solve them.

3) Knowing a sequence for teaching the swing, as opposed to saying "look at this video of A.P. and do what he does."

4) Having a number of drills and descriptions for various common problems, which can be systemnatically attempted until one "clicks." I know of NO drill which attains universall results.

5) Knowing how to communicate effectively - and get the point across - with various age groups, experience levels, and with both genders. (I talk differently to a Gold player than I do to a 12 YO, although what I communicate to ANY hitter is obviously FAR simplerthan the level we discuss things here).

I seriously think gained experience and a data pool is absolutely necessary to become a good instructor. Evaluating video has a certain value; it's a great tool. It is NOT the same as working with kids.

Best regards,

Scott

May 12, 2008
Howard -

I have worked with kids up through college age for years.

Scott,

Aren't you and Phil and Boardmember in Tom's area? Any of you been over to watch him instruct? You know where he instructs? Maybe he will invite you over to watch him instruct.

Oct 29, 2008
Aren't you and Phil and Boardmember in Tom's area? Any of you been over to watch him instruct? You know where he instructs? Maybe he will invite you over to watch him instruct.

The Sorcerer Academy, home of the current National Gold champions, is owned by Phil and is where we both instruct. It is located in Concord, CA, about an hour from Tom. Boardmember lives much closer, and spent close to 20 years running the premier Travel Ball organization in Tom's area (California Haze).

I have never seen Tom instruct.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Any time Howard, Dana, Mark H, Ssarge, ifubuildit, and a few others post I usually bank on it because they can back it up with video or other reference and they usually on most topics have simalar conclusions with each other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck