Pouting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
I had a Pouter Once and handled it like this: This girl Player LL for me for 3 years before she got to HS JV where I was the coach. Now when she was in LL she was the best 2nd baseman I had so that was where she played and gave me no trouble.
However in HS a girl beat her out of 2nd and she was put in CF. Now this girl had never Pouted before ever. But in the first HS game of the year I said to her " Go take center field" She SLOWLY got her glove and moped out dragging her feet saying " God you must hate me".

She didnt get to the foul line when I called her back to the dugout, Sat her down and didnt play her at all that game. After the game I explained to her that if she didnt want to play Other girls would be happy to.
The pouting stopped and she had a great season, Even moved up to Varsity for about 2 games.
You have too handle it BEFORE it becomes a problem.

Just my thoughts.

Nov 29, 2009
It bums me out that CF is considered a "waste" position.

The perception starts in rec. Any kid who can't catch is put into the outfield. Most rec coaches don't have the time it takes to teach the kids the correct way to do things. They usually don't get much practice time combined with they are usually a parent who does not have a whole lot of softball knowledge doing the best they can. That's why the kids who want more make the move to travel.

When you make the jump to travel at 12U and up the outfield becomes very important. The few kids who make the mental adjustment as to how important a speedy center fielder is are the ones who excel at the position.

Some of the greatest highlights in the MLB come from the outfielders taking hits away. How many times will you watch a replay of an outfielder climbing a fence to take away a HR? I know I'll watch it several times.

When my daughter pitched she loved her outfielders. Especially when she made a mistake with a pitch and it was hit hard. There were number of occasions they came up with highlight catches or the perfect throw to nail a runner.

May 5, 2008
I also think you need to be honest and have a plan as others have suggested.

Let her and the parents know that you have seen what she's capable of (no pouting in previous years) so you know this is not her best.

If she really wants to play and wants to be in travel ball, her best is required daily. You will require it because that's what is necessary for her to become as great as she wants to be.

To the player/parents...
It's NOT easy to come to practice day after day and play hard. Not everyone can do it. If it's not something you really want to do, that's OKAY! But then that means you need to find a place/team you really do belong on. One that fits what you want out of a softball experience.

If you do really want to be here, my job is to bring out your best, so I will call you on it if you're not giving it. I will remind you that pouting or complaining is not helping you, it's not helping your teammates and is, therefore, not allowed on this field.

If you choose to continue pouting or complaining (hanging head/walking instead of hustling etc), I will ask you to leave the playing field.

I cannot help you more than you want to be helped. When you are ready to devote your 100% best into what you are doing here, then I PROMISE I will also devote my 100% best in you. It's unfair for your teammates for me to put equal time, effort, and playing time into you when they are giving 100% and you are only giving 90%. You only get out what you put in.

Everyone on this team does have equal opportunity to improve, but that does not guarantee equal results. You are the biggest influence over your own performance. I am here to help in any way I can providing you want it and you show that in your attitude and your effort each day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez