Possible closing of the Sports Authority chain

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
We go to Academy since they opened around here a couple of years ago. Best prices. The only Sports Authority is two blocks from the mall and Academy built a store across the street from the mall. Academy's lot is always full and Sports Authority is a ghost town.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I am hoping that ours closes so that we can get a Dick's Sporting Goods. Ours is just a clothing/shoe store masquerading as a sporting goods store...

Dec 19, 2012
The only time I went to a Sports Authority the place made me immediately think "The K-Mart of Sporting Goods". I was not impressed at all. That was a few years ago in between games at a tournament.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
In fairness, we bought a lot of DD's early SB stuff there. Bats, gloves, cleats and bags. Then I found out you could by cheaper over the internet and a local sporting goods store always had what we were looking for when the big box stores didn't. I only posted the link thinking they may be having some heavily discounted items.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Baseball/softball shelves were mostly cleared at my local SA. I bought 2 dream seams and a bat grip, paid full price. Worker said they were moving a lot of stuff to stores that werent closing.

Dick's is kicking their butt. The internet will eventually kick dick's butt.

Dec 11, 2010
There is a regional chain in my area called Scheel's. They make Dick's look like a dump. They hire young kids but they are trained to seek out customers smile, and actually talk to them. Dick's must train their employees to hide from customers and say "Hunh? I dunno" if a customer manages to corner them and they have to speak.

It's gotta be tough to be in retail and have to stock millions of dollars in product that can only be sold for full retail price. There has to be a value added to make people want to go in and pay more.

Dec 19, 2012
There has to be a value added to make people want to go in and pay more.

The brick and mortar stores mainly rely on the ability of immediate product delivery as their value added over product knowledge unless it is a specialty store.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs