Position in lineup...what does it say about her hitting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2011
We understand that...we were just wondering. Trying to understand the game better is all. She will be 2nd the first game, 3rd the next and then back to 2nd at the end of the day. Usually he will move someone from the bottom up and just move her back and forth.

Oct 31, 2010
Adding her age group, if she is playing school/tb/rec, and even video of some swings could get you a much more informed answer. There are a lot of VERY knowledgeable members on this forum.

IMO moving from 2 to 3 isn't anything I would even think about unless she is playing exposure level A class TB, high school, or college. I would only question if she was moving from the top to the bottom of the order. If you want to know the real answer the only way to know that is to ask the coach that makes the line up. If he makes you feel like you are bothering him then I don't think that's a coach I would want my child playing for. Most coaches are open books as long as you are polite and don't question them during games, and they usually welcome the positive interaction from parents.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Everybody does it different. Me along with most mlb teams, #3 is best hitter with power. "Clean up" #4 idea is old. Still power at 4 hole but I want my best power hitter coming up #1 to hit the first two in, or #2 to revive the team after 1st two outs. Plus one spot more of a chance of coming up at the end of the game.
Me: 1 is speed; 2 contact and speed; 3 best hitter; 4 power; 5 power; mid pack is low % hitters; end of line is good contact hitters.

Oct 25, 2009
You are wrong...my husband and I were watching the softball games on tv and the subject came up between us so I got on the phone and asked. My kid does everything her coach asks of her and he treats her well bc of it. We didn't ask him bc we try stay off his back. As long as they are both happy then so are we. I swear every time I come to these forums there is some jack rear that like you that makes me not want to come back again.

I believe most of us on here understand the innocence of your post. Some want to read something negative into any post.

GoingDeep had an interesting question about where the 3 batter is moving when your DD moves to 3. And back, of course.

I usually put my best power hitter in the 3 spot. By best I mean she has power AND high average. My 2 batter would be a good all around batter/bunter/slapper with speed.

Interested to hear what happens to the batter she replaces.

Jan 25, 2011
IMO,#2 is needs to get on or move #1 into scoring postion. #3 is the best hitter on the team they score #1 & #2.

Jul 26, 2010
#2 usually has to "make things happen". Her job isn't really to get on base. This is the kid that is doing fake bunts, hit and runs, and a lot of sacrifice plays to move runners around. It's actually very unfair to keep the same kid in this spot all the time, because the kid never gets a fair shot to "just go hit the ball". You want to move kids in and out of this spot to give them a chance to learn other skills.

-W

Apr 19, 2011
She is only 10 and playing travel. I am going to pay closer attention to who he is moving around this weekend and come back to this. thanks for the feedback everyone :)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
On our team, the #2 hitter is usually more of a contact hitter who can move #1 hitter into scoring position if she gets on base. #3 hitter is a contact hitter with power who has a better chance for a base hit to drive in runs. #2 hitter will be called on to bunt more frequently, while #3 hitter typically swings away.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
IMO,#2 is needs to get on or move #1 into scoring postion. #3 is the best hitter on the team they score #1 & #2.

In high high levels of ball Statistacly one of the first 3 batters will get out. Thus why your best RBI hitters are 4-5 , most runs are scored by 4-5 in my years on the diamond. My 2 cents.

Jan 31, 2011
You are wrong...my husband and I were watching the softball games on tv and the subject came up between us so I got on the phone and asked. My kid does everything her coach asks of her and he treats her well bc of it. We didn't ask him bc we try stay off his back. As long as they are both happy then so are we. I swear every time I come to these forums there is some jack rear that like you that makes me not want to come back again.

You will find that the vast majority of people on this forum are very experienced and knowledgeable. I don't believe anyone was trying to insult you. There are many many threads on batting order logic & I think a lot of folks assume that stuff is well known.

10U ball is a different beast IMHO. I love 10U ball, but now I coach at the 14U level. So, typically my lead off hitter has the best OBP(on base percentage). I want her on base to start something. My #2 hitter is my best bunter and has a great OBP herself. I want her to bunt my lead off over into scoring position or at least get on base herself if the #1 gets out. My #3 slot is my best contact hitter (she's a stud) & I want her to drive in my two (hopefully) baserunners. My #4 is the clean up slot & she can really smoke the ball. This kid is a game changer IMHO. My #5 is a great hitter too & I like to try and start it all over again with #6 because statistics show she will be probably the lead off hitter in some future inning.

Its great you are interested in your DD's slot. I know many coaches do things differently, but that's how I do it (or try to at least). It looks good on paper anyway!

Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez