Position in lineup...what does it say about her hitting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2011
My dd is often switched from 2 to 3rd in the lineup. We Know that she wants to be at the top of the lineup but I'm curious to know what the constant switch around could say about her hitting? The rest of the top usually stays the same. It's not something I feel needs to be discussed with the coach so I brought to you all to get your thoughts. Thanks in advance! :)

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
No way of knowing, imo. If she's consistently batting #2 or #3, the only thing I can be confident about is that the coach considers her one of his best hitters. I've never batted anyone #3 that I didn't consider to be an outstanding hitter. I've sometimes batted a middling hitter #2 if she gets on base a lot (draws walks). But without knowing the makeup of the team or the philosophy of the coach, there's no way to know why she's bouncing back and forth. It probably has more to do with the other hitters who are moving than your DD since 2-3 is not a huge change.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It says she is a good hitter. 2nd or 3rd go getum.

2nd is a little more of a get on base person, 3rd is more of a hit to get on base. Old school.

Mar 1, 2012
The ability (or lack of) to bunt by your Dd or others could play a part as well. My 12U TB team's line up changes a little weekly with the exception on #2 who is my best bunt/slapper by far.

May 6, 2012
Texas
Well it means she is a good hitter to be at the top part of the line up. I have noticed in softball its all about the game plan of the coach. So dont over think it and if you really want to know why just ask your coach.

Nov 29, 2009
This may sound a little harsh but you need to talk to your DD, not the coach. It's obvious the coach has confidence in her abilities. She needs to start thinking more about what the team needs from her rather than her own personal preferences. That is what the coach is doing.

Apr 19, 2011
I'm not sure what your comment is about. This isn't about my daughters preference or ours...we are just curious to know what type of hitter she is based on where she is placed in the lineup. We aren't the most knowledgable softball parents. I didn't feel it was an issue that needed to be discussed with the coach because we don't have an issue neither does my dd. We are just curious about it...that's all. I thought the bunt comments were interesting because he has never had her bunt.

Nov 29, 2009
We Know that she wants to be at the top of the lineup

Obviously she has said something, otherwise you would not be here asking.

I stand by first reply. Tell her to do whatever the coach and team needs her to do. Even better, have her ask the coach what he's looking for her to do so she has a better understanding. Too many coaches make the mistake of assuming a young player knows something. I have found out the hard way to NEVER assume with it comes to young kids.

The more she can do. The more valuable she is to the team as a player who can be counted on when the game is on the line.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Am I missing something? Line ups will vary from time to time, girls get hot, some have a bad weekend.......etc. Facing certain teams I may change my bunters and big guns around some. Like any position, it is not a guarantee you will be in the same spot at the first of the season as you may be in the end.

I think the OP is reading too much into this, if she was moving from 2 to 4/5 I'd say her bat was really improving, moving from 2 to 7/8/9 I'd say she is in a slump.

When she moves from 2 into 3rd slot, where is the 3rd slot moving to? Might shed some light on things.

Apr 19, 2011
You are wrong...my husband and I were watching the softball games on tv and the subject came up between us so I got on the phone and asked. My kid does everything her coach asks of her and he treats her well bc of it. We didn't ask him bc we try stay off his back. As long as they are both happy then so are we. I swear every time I come to these forums there is some jack rear that like you that makes me not want to come back again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619