position in front of base or behind?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 2, 2010
I coach a 10U team. I merged my team with another this year and as a result there are 2 coaches. (always fun, I know)
The other coach is GREAT ~ he's very knowledgeable. However, there are some situations that I think we have different opinions because he has a baseball background (and coaches his 2 sons' baseball teams in addition to our softball team). We have discovered that we teach VERY different approaches to our 3rd baseman covering the bag for a tag play.

Situation: Runner headed to 3rd ~ throw coming from either catcher or 1st base:
is your 3rd baseman standing on this inside of the baseline looking for a throw from the catcher and then stepping back to lay the tag?
** or **
is your 3rd baseman standing behind the bag waiting for the throw and then dropping the glove for the tag?

Mar 15, 2010
A bit more behind why I have 3rd behind the bag. About 8 years ago when DD #1 was playing travel ball the 3rd baseman on her team setup in front and made a sweep tag back. In a game a throw went high which made her step back directly into the path of the runner sliding. Snapped the ankle. She was out for almost 9 months. There are other reasons but my #1 for teaching behind is safety.

Oct 19, 2009
At 10U we're having our SS cover the throw from the catcher. The 3B is playing in for bunt coverage. Ideally she gets there in plenty of time to straddle the bag and drop a two hand "death grip" tag low.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Behind the bag, straddle where possible to get a clean tag.
3b needs to be a 'gritty player' no fear of quick throws and no fear of
collision on bang-bang plays

Oct 21, 2009
I guess I'm in the minority here. We tried behind the bag but in the scramble back to the bag F5 would usually end up in foul territory and could not reach the front of the bag orthe runner with the tag. We had a catcher that liked to keep the ball low. Rt handed F5s had a tough time reaching across the sliding runner to field the ball on a close play. With F5 straddling the base anyhting but a good throw was into the outfield and the run scored. Ball to the foul side of 3B, too hard to spin and catch, ball up the line towards 2B, you have a runner sliding into you. We also had a concussion when a throw sailed over F5 head runner coming into 3B didn't slide, hit 3B turned and went home sending our F5 flying. F5 called for obstructing the runner from homeplate. We have the F5 find the front fair side of 3B with their right heel square up for the throw. If the throw is good and they have time, turn and straddle the base, catch ball and make the tag. Any other throw, catch the ball and make a swipe tag. She must protect and can not let the ball get by and give up the run.

May 2, 2010
Thank you ALL for your input!!
To start with ~ let me say that I love the way our game has evolved over time. It does, however, remind me of just how OLD I am! LOL There are so many changes in the game from the days when I played! To answer your question, Amy... I am the 'in front of the bag' mindset. Here is/was my reasoning:

I'm a catcher. We always set up in front of the plate to receive a throw.
The 3rd baseman in softball IS on the inside of the baseline (as opposed to baseball where they play behind the bag).
- it seems to make more sense to me that a baseball 3rd baseman would take the throw from behind the bag because he is coming IN to the bag
- the softball 3rd baseman is going BACKWARDS to the bag.... makes more sense to me to take the throw in front.
The throw from anywhere on the infield (with the exception of the shortstop) is going to be coming from the homeplate side of 3rd base.
- Why would we want to take the chance that the throw (which SHOULD be low and at the bag) actually hits the runner? On a bang-bang play, your throw isn't going to get there early enough to get through the baseline to the glove that is behind the bag.
- If the 3rd baseman is set up inside the bag, she doesn't have anything else to distract or impede her from catching the ball. There is no runner in the .... should the throw be off target. If she's behind the bag - seems to me there is much more chance for error and having the ball get past her.

That being said ~ I DEFINITELY see the benefit to the safety aspect of being behind the bag. Hadn't ever seen/heard of anyone getting injured stepping back to make a tag after receiving the throw on the inside.

I'll have to give it more thought. But I have to admit that I'm still not entirely sold on the 'behind the bag' approach.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32