Portable backyard lighting for pitching practice.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
As they days get shorter I am finding pitching practice for my DD is going to get tougher.

Anyone have some good recommendations (read works well and relatively inexpensive) for lighting the backyard so we can still practice once it's dark by 6pm?

Googled it but really found nothing.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
As they days get shorter I am finding pitching practice for my DD is going to get tougher.

Anyone have some good recommendations (read works well and relatively inexpensive) for lighting the backyard so we can still practice once it's dark by 6pm?

Googled it but really found nothing.

I put a pitching lane in the backyard and had a lot of trouble putting an affordable and effective lighting system for the winter so it never got done.

The best thing I have done is to make an arrangement with the AD at the High School allowing DD and I to use the gym in the evenings as long as no one else is using it. We must use softies only and when done we must find the maintenence crew to verify we locked it up.

I like the arrangement and her High School softball coach loves it. Janitors are usually around until late in the evening and there are a couple that like to come watch her pitch before we lock up.

Jul 26, 2010
Not sure where you live, but anything that would work would likely upset your neighbors.

Best solution I came up with was taking a short walk to a local tennis court, they typically have lights on a 20m timer. Comes complete with a power line too. ;)

-W

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Maybe give us a layout of your backyard so we have an idea of what to recommend. One thing to look into is to string some lights up if you have walls/trees/buildings to hang them from. I have about 6 sets of these lights that I string up in the backyard on a canopy frame. It gives me just enough light to see, and it doesn't cause my neighbors to go blind when they go into their backyard. String Lights from Target

Jun 16, 2011
We have some cheap outdoor halogen lights that are positioned just behind and to the side of both the pitcher and the catcher. I have them on extension cords and put them away after we are done. That works well for us.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Can you get the car back there and turn on the headlights? ;)

How about those yellow trouble lights from Lowes? Either the ones that hang, or the big ones that sit on a table? By the way, the Christmas decorations are out at Lowes, already.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have a piece of outdoor carpet with home plate painted on it and a pitching carpet w/a rubber that my DD and I will take to the tennis courts in the evening after it gets dark outside. The tennis court lights work great and the fencing limits the distance we have to chase any errant throws.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
We still own our house in Flagstaff. And when I was up there last month, the neighbors had put in this. You can see the lights.

DSC_4122.jpg

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Myla, I was salivating over it. I didn't know the home owners, though, so I didn't go over. I don't know if you are familiar with Northern AZ. but it is all rolling and rocky. They must have bought the lot, specifically for the basketball court. My friends said that it took the owners a long time to get it flat and then, the concrete went down. The basketball court looked like a giant puzzle, that fit together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00