When DD's HS doesn't care about softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
It’s weird to me that the OP (and likely other parents) can’t even get a response. Not even a “The AD hasn’t given us the green light yet.”

The more I read about others school programs not being competitive or making softball a priority is disheartening. And makes me appreciate what DD has here. I know it depends on region, but it’s taken seriously here. There might be one girl on DD’s JH team (2 squads) that didn’t play competitive TB prior. And she’s come a long way since I first saw her at their open fields last Summer. And when they play other schools they often see the same in those rosters.

A couple schools even have 10u and 12u teams that act as a feeder system. All being driven down from the HS program. School ball is fun to watch here for the most part. You’ll get some smaller schools who have to round out a team with rec players....and that’s understandable. But for the most part....JH and HS programs are competitive here

Mar 10, 2020
? I don't understand. I know it's not covid related. Losing last season was. The school shut down the day the rosters were supposed to be announced but the coach told DD she made the team - starting pitcher for JV and back up for V. The spring teams "unofficially" practicing now; lacrosse, baseball and I think field/track, none of the others AFAIK.
Officially or unofficially there is more to the story to not being included. Either is frustrating.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
It’s weird to me that the OP (and likely other parents) can’t even get a response. Not even a “The AD hasn’t given us the green light yet.”

The more I read about others school programs not being competitive or making softball a priority is disheartening. And makes me appreciate what DD has here. I know it depends on region, but it’s taken seriously here. There might be one girl on DD’s JH team (2 squads) that didn’t play competitive TB prior. And she’s come a long way since I first saw her at their open fields last Summer. And when they play other schools they often see the same in those rosters.

A couple schools even have 10u and 12u teams that act as a feeder system. All being driven down from the HS program. School ball is fun to watch here for the most part. You’ll get some smaller schools who have to round out a team with rec players....and that’s understandable. But for the most part....JH and HS programs are competitive here
I wish it were the same way here. My team has 10 players. out of the 10, 1 is a Senior, 1 Junior, 1 Sophomore and 7 Freshman. The Senior has 2 years of rec ball experience before taking the last 3 years off, the Junior has 3 years rec and 1 TB before taking the last 2 years off, and out of the remaining 8, 2 Freshman have 2 years rec experience and the rest have never played the game before. To top it all off, the rec feeder program has Zero coaching...and I mean Zero. Some parents have stepped up to the plate but have no knowledge of the game whatsoever. I went to watch one of their 14U practices and their idea of a practice was to set up a traffic cone at home plate for a batting tee and have the girls hit wiffle balls to the fielders. They have an entire 2 team metal bats from 1970 and once the girls hit, they run to first base. They need to use wiffle balls and the 2 team bats since no one owns their own Walmart aluminum bat let alone a glove.

It's considered a So^^#r town even though their HS program is below mediocre at best compared to other schools.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
I wish it were the same way here. My team has 10 players. out of the 10, 1 is a Senior, 1 Junior, 1 Sophomore and 7 Freshman. The Senior has 2 years of rec ball experience before taking the last 3 years off, the Junior has 3 years rec and 1 TB before taking the last 2 years off, and out of the remaining 8, 2 Freshman have 2 years rec experience and the rest have never played the game before. To top it all off, the rec feeder program has Zero coaching...and I mean Zero. Some parents have stepped up to the plate but have no knowledge of the game whatsoever. I went to watch one of their 14U practices and their idea of a practice was to set up a traffic cone at home plate for a batting tee and have the atgirls hit wiffle balls to the fielders. They have an entire 2 team metal bats from 1970 and once the girls hit, they run to first base. They need to use wiffle balls and the 2 team bats since no one owns their own Walmart aluminum bat let alone a glove.

It's considered a So^^#r town even though their HS program is below mediocre at best compared to other schools.
Hmmm, although I do find it strange, I kind of give props to those 6 girls with no experience at all. I wonder what goes through their mind, "Hey softball, the should be easy enough!"

Nov 18, 2013
Most states don’t allow HS coaches to plan or attend captains practices. It’s weird they didn’t just tell you that.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Most states don’t allow HS coaches to plan or attend captains practices. It’s weird they didn’t just tell you that.

Ohio let's you hold 10 out of season practices and have unlimited player contact June 1st through July 31st. August 1-31st is a complete dead period and any other time we are allowed to work with 4 or fewer players at a time.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Hmmm, although I do find it strange, I kind of give props to those 6 girls with no experience at all. I wonder what goes through their mind, "Hey softball, the should be easy enough!"
Actually It's the AD trying to field a team saying something along the lines of 'Play softball. It's almost guaranteed you'll get a Varsity Letter!' Which, of course, they will with only 10 players.

Aug 25, 2019
Actually It's the AD trying to field a team saying something along the lines of 'Play softball. It's almost guaranteed you'll get a Varsity Letter!' Which, of course, they will with only 10 players.
Ah I see, but as a coach, I guess you rather have a team like that than no team at all.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
My sister is running into this. It's not that softball is being ignored at her school... it's more she doesn't like her new coach. Her team is also struggling because her teammates just don't seem to care to play and won't pay much defense behind her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802