Poor sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
OK I'll just be esoteric. I find ways other than being tough to get out of jams. Like the time I hid and cowered while some ruffians in the Far East were wanting to stomp me, or the time I broke away from some muggers and ran like heck in NYC at 3:00 AM. Tough guys get hurt. Esoteric lives to confound another day.

Oct 25, 2009
OK I'll just be esoteric. I find ways other than being tough to get out of jams. Like the time I hid and cowered while some ruffians in the Far East were wanting to stomp me, or the time I broke away from some muggers and ran like heck in NYC at 3:00 AM. Tough guys get hurt. Esoteric lives to confound another day.

Yep! Punching the other guy in the fist with your mouth isn't too smart!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I wonder if this video clip would be getting as much attention if it was baseball players instead of softball?

I have to wonder if she was playing first base and leveling runners going through the bag, would she have been tossed? Would just as many have defended her actions?

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Yeah, and to get back on topic, I commend the runners for not starting a fight with a big, athletic catcher wearing all sorts of protective gear. Hmm. They could start something, get pummeled and ejected, or walk away with a victory and all their teeth. Smart girls.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Weird what gets publicity. If the catcher were Caitlyn Jenner in a senior ladies softball game one would expect a lot of play. Some HS girls nobody's ever heard of, not so much.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Weird what gets publicity. If the catcher were Caitlyn Jenner in a senior ladies softball game one would expect a lot of play. Some HS girls nobody's ever heard of, not so much.

In the context of a girls HS softball game I think the behavior is equally bizarre as anything we have seen from the first family of narcissism. Even people who do not follow softball are saying WTH?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The fact that it's a girl does make it more newsworthy.

Newsworthiness is not a judgment purely about how important something really is, but rather how interesting it is to the public at large. And to the masses, girls playing rough is more unusual (and thus newsworthy) than boys playing rough.

What should be 'fair' is the judgment we make on the player. Players should not be treated more harshly, or leniently, based on her gender.

Dec 19, 2012
I wonder if this video clip would be getting as much attention if it was baseball players instead of softball?

Hard to say. I tried to google a similar incident in baseball, but I could not find one video or picture. There are a ton of runners bowling over catchers though, and at the higher levels was legal until recently. I caught for 12 years and have played in my fair share of games. I've been trucked quite a few times but have never seen nor heard anything concerning a catcher doing what this young lady did. I'm not saying it never happened, just that I have never seen it nor heard about it. I've witnessed a first baseban hip-check a runner rounding first and that ended up in a brawl.