Pool play matchups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 18, 2018
Can someone explain how tournament pool play games are derived? Specifically USSSA tournaments. Just curious as I could not find this info and unlike bracket play it's not a transparent process.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Can someone explain how tournament pool play games are derived? Specifically USSSA tournaments. Just curious as I could not find this info and unlike bracket play it's not a transparent process.

You mean how do they make the pool schedule?

USSSA does provide a solid scheduling tool if you are a TD. How it works depends on a number of factors including.

- How many teams in the division?
- Are you dividing into pools?
- Are you taking USSSA points into account?
- How many pool games are there going to be?
- How many fields do you have?

and a few others. Once you input those, you basically push a button and get an initial schedule.

As a TD you can override anything you want. You can adjust it based on any factor you like (things like 'team wants to play in the morning', 'don't play teams from the same org against each other if you don't have to', no 8 am games for teams that have to drive 2 hours to the field', 'no playing 3 games in a row', 'game to avoid between known idiots' and so on). Yes, this means the person doing the schedule can favor an org or team with a more favorable schedule. Most don't, but some will.

There is some logic behind the schedule if you divide into pools - though the logic isn't public. In general, it appears to try to spread out the top points team into separate pools, and the second set and so on. Those with no points recorded from previous USSSA tournaments it is pretty random.

I will also add - as a TD you are under NO obligation to use this tool. If you want to do it all manually, you can go right ahead.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018
You mean how do they make the pool schedule?

USSSA does provide a solid scheduling tool if you are a TD. How it works depends on a number of factors including.

- How many teams in the division?
- Are you dividing into pools?
- Are you taking USSSA points into account?
- How many pool games are there going to be?
- How many fields do you have?

and a few others. Once you input those, you basically push a button and get an initial schedule.

As a TD you can override anything you want. You can adjust it based on any factor you like (things like 'team wants to play in the morning', 'don't play teams from the same org against each other if you don't have to', no 8 am games for teams that have to drive 2 hours to the field', 'no playing 3 games in a row', 'game to avoid between known idiots' and so on). Yes, this means the person doing the schedule can favor an org or team with a more favorable schedule. Most don't, but some will.

There is some logic behind the schedule if you divide into pools - though the logic isn't public. In general, it appears to try to spread out the top points team into separate pools, and the second set and so on. Those with no points recorded from previous USSSA tournaments it is pretty random.

I will also add - as a TD you are under NO obligation to use this tool. If you want to do it all manually, you can go right ahead.
Thanks for the detailed peek behind the curtain. Very informative.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk