U.S.A./USSSA age chart changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 9, 2019
Done with it now but it would have been nice for DD with a fall bd to play with girls in her own grade. Never made much sense to me birth year on the team and grad year on the sleave

Sep 21, 2019
I don’t know what do right by the girls means. No matter where they put the date somebody is going to be the youngest players on the team.
It’s not so much about age, it is more about the late birthday girls (August -December) that get stuck playing abbreviated seasons their first year of 14 while other girls in their grade are playing full seasons all the way up to the time school ball school ball starts. Late birthdays will also no be able to play 18U their senior season under the current USSSA rule.

Jan 20, 2023
It’s not so much about age, it is more about the late birthday girls (August -December) that get stuck playing abbreviated seasons their first year of 14 while other girls in their grade are playing full seasons all the way up to the time school ball school ball starts. Late birthdays will also no be able to play 18U their senior season under the current USSSA rule.

I agree - 14s is super messy with a Dec birthday. We have fall high school ball and trying to find a team that is playing and having full practices while a lot of kids are in high school was a challenge.

The social gap between a 7th grader and 9th grader is pretty big too. My daughter learned some stuff in the dugout that could have waited a year in 1st year 14s.

May 13, 2021
Done with it now but it would have been nice for DD with a fall bd to play with girls in her own grade. Never made much sense to me birth year on the team and grad year on the sleave
If it was grad year people would be bitching about the girls that had been held back in school.

May 13, 2021
I guess I don't fully understand how she is not able to play just as much as everyone else. Here that girl would just play middle school ball with all the girls in her grade. Also here that all starts in 12u when girls start playing school ball.

Jan 20, 2023
I guess I don't fully understand how she is not able to play just as much as everyone else. Here that girl would just play middle school ball with all the girls in her grade. Also here that all starts in 12u when girls start playing school ball.

We don’t have middle school softball where I live.

Apr 14, 2022
Always be a cut off making a kid the youngest. DD is one of the youngest now. Having to play and compete against 9th graders in 7th grade has some benefits and some downside.

May 17, 2023
Has anyone heard anything lately about the age changes for next year?

Heard couple organizations have told their teams USSSA will make the change for next year. Assuming someone reached out for feedback or to give them a head's up.

I think the bigger question is PGF where teams are less likely to play up. Also weird that some of their tournaments already follow class instead of birth year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles