U.S.A./USSSA age chart changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 18, 2022
Can someone explain the new U.S.A. age chart and how it does/does not line up with the USSSA age chart…hearing lots of different interpretations…

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Can someone explain the new U.S.A. age chart and how it does/does not line up with the USSSA age chart…hearing lots of different interpretations…

Thanks!

Post a link to the chart you are referring to. From what I heard at some point the cutoff date for USA softball is going to move to Aug. 31 vs Dec. 31.

Dec 18, 2022
Yeah, age cutoff date for JO softball is now Aug. 31. Not sure what the confusion is, it says it right there in the pdf, Article 301 D 05a

USSSA, at the moment at least, is Dec. 31.

So a girl born in Sept-Dec 2011 (for example) is eligible to play 10u this coming spring in USA?

Jun 8, 2016
So a girl born in Sept-Dec 2011 (for example) is eligible to play 10u this coming spring in USA?

10-Under Age Classification. A player whose 11th birthday is prior
to September 1, 2023, is INELIGIBLE

So no as they will turn 11 BEFORE Sept. 1 2023.

They are basically trying to line up age groups with grad classes as most school systems have an Aug. 31 cutoff date.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I don't know a whole bunch about USA softball. Is JO softball just specific tournaments or do all USA softball tournaments fall under the JO umbrella??

Dec 18, 2022
I guess that’s my question…does this just basically mean everyone has to play in the fall the age group they would have otherwise played in the next spring.

Historically in USA I believe you could play the fall at the same age group you played the prior spring, and then had to move up in the spring. USSSA made you “play up” starting in the fall…does this just align USSSA and USA? Even though they approach it from different perspectives, does it have the same effect?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2