Pocket Radar

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
I have had one for over a year and love it. DD pitches at a facility and another member there had a Jugs gun he was using to measure a men's college pitcher. I stood behind him to compare the readings from my Pocket Radar, and they were giving the exact same numbers as his larger more expensive Jugs gun.

Pros:
Small, compact.
Easy to take anywhere.
Discrete.
Runs on two AA batteries

Cons:
Only reads in whole numbers (no fractions)
Doesn't work well unless you are in-line with the object being measured. Works best when the ball is coming toward you or away from you, not from the side.
You get addicted to it.
Timing when to push the button for taking the reading. Mine works best when I time pushing the button right as the pitch is being released.

May 7, 2008
I have had one for about a year and I also have a Stalker Sport, which is the one used by major league baseball scouts. It is accurate to 1/10 of one mph. When I hold up the Pocket Radar and the Stalker they either read the same or within one mph of each other. I don't know of any guns that read to the tenth of a mph so I don't think that is relevant. As far as out of hand vs crossing the plate, every radar reading you have ever seen on TV or at a stadium is an out of hand measurement. In addition, I know a few major league baseball scouts and that is all they shoot also. I would definitely recommend the Pocket Radar. Only drawback is you have to activate it each pitch by pushing the button. The best part of it is it is very discreet. Looks like a cell phone. Good Luck

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I have both a Jugs gun and the Pocket Radar, and I have also found that the readings with the Pocket Radar are within 1 mph of the Jugs gun. It's an excellent product for the money. Much better than the Bushnell guns which read slow. The other nice thing is that it isn't as obvious as a Jugs or Stalker so you can sneak in readings if that's what you're trying to do. Or you can get pitchers at their best because they don't realize what you're doing and thus tighten up trying to throw faster like so many do.

As for out of the hand v at the plate, I don't think that really matters. It's just a number. If everyone else is comparing out of the hand you want to also, otherwise your pitchers will suffer by comparison. After all, it's not like if you hit a certain speed at the plate the ball suddenly acquires bat repellant.

Radar guns are for measuring progress and claiming bragging rights. If you're doing the latter, you want the highest reading you can get (without cheating). That will be out of the hand. If you're doing the former, either will work -- as long as you are consistent in how you measure it.

Jul 26, 2010
I have one, it works great and does exactly what it is supposed to do.

I don't break it out that often, maybe once every 3 months for each kid. That way they can measure progress. I put more stock in their FB/CU differential then the actual speed.

It is a useful scouting tool though, since you can stand behind the dugout and act like you're texting on your phone. Scout, set the machine at practice to that speed, and bring home yet another useless trophy that next weekend.

-W

Apr 30, 2015
Here is what a 61 year old posted in an iTunes review as his pitching speed using one of our iOS speed radars.

"...Found the right arm slot. I got the app to check the difference between my fastball & off-speed pitches. Had some initial problems getting it to work without internet access, but Mike Gillam worked with me to get it sorted out. Great customer service! Took my IPad out to the local field to test it out. Warmed up at 39-45 mph and worked up to 77-79 mph. Not too shabby for a 61 yr. old grandpa. Off-speed pitches were 59-66. The app helped me find the best arm slot for this old body. Pitched a 4-hit shutout in my next senior league game. Thanx Mike & the team at Athla!" --signed The Old Cannon

Dec 7, 2011
Here is what a 61 year old posted in an iTunes review as his pitching speed using one of our iOS speed radars.

"...Found the right arm slot. I got the app to check the difference between my fastball & off-speed pitches. Had some initial problems getting it to work without internet access, but Mike Gillam worked with me to get it sorted out. Great customer service! Took my IPad out to the local field to test it out. Warmed up at 39-45 mph and worked up to 77-79 mph. Not too shabby for a 61 yr. old grandpa. Off-speed pitches were 59-66. The app helped me find the best arm slot for this old body. Pitched a 4-hit shutout in my next senior league game. Thanx Mike & the team at Athla!" --signed The Old Cannon

Just iStuff...? What the heck.... I just ditched my i4s......

When Android?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad