Pocket Radar

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Buy the newest model of the pocket radar. I sat next to a Stalker and a Jugs (guns, not people)... smiling... the readings were always within 1 mph. The Constant mode is a breeze.

Feb 5, 2010
Ball coach is easier to use, no learning curve involved. It has proved to be as good as any of the expensive units out there.

Jul 1, 2010
Fun toy for Dad. We bought it to work on getting DD's CU slower. Also, good to check bat speed.

Constant mode is great, but buy a battery charger or a bunch of batteries.

May 22, 2014
Indiana
If you have any interest in the Zepp, you can also go to Pocket Radar's own site and they have a decent bundle with the Pocket Radar and Zepp together. Personally a bigger fan of the Pocket Radar than the Zepp, but I know some hitting coackes that really like the Zepp as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 27, 2014
I have both a Jugs gun and the Pocket Radar, and I have also found that the readings with the Pocket Radar are within 1 mph of the Jugs gun. It's an excellent product for the money. Much better than the Bushnell guns which read slow. The other nice thing is that it isn't as obvious as a Jugs or Stalker so you can sneak in readings if that's what you're trying to do. Or you can get pitchers at their best because they don't realize what you're doing and thus tighten up trying to throw faster like so many do.

As for out of the hand v at the plate, I don't think that really matters. It's just a number. If everyone else is comparing out of the hand you want to also, otherwise your pitchers will suffer by comparison. After all, it's not like if you hit a certain speed at the plate the ball suddenly acquires bat repellant.

Radar guns are for measuring progress and claiming bragging rights. If you're doing the latter, you want the highest reading you can get (without cheating). That will be out of the hand. If you're doing the former, either will work -- as long as you are consistent in how you measure it.

I know this is an old quote, but does anyone have more data on the Bushnell guns? I bought one from a cabbie off Craigslist last December for $20. He came right to my office and was the easiest transaction I have ever done. :D DD was just getting started on going from a typical nine year old push to more of a Hillhouse inspired move. I was just looking for something to compare her speed to if she was making progress. Now she has a PC and they use a Revfire ball which always posts higher numbers than our practice sessions even though it is a 12" compared to her normal 11". I always wrote it off to Revfire being an average speed and the gun being speed at the batter, since I hold it in one hand and catch in the other. For our sessions she is in the low to mid forties and on the Revfire mid to high 40's. Does that seem right?

So, after reading this thread, and a few other snippets, I was curious how accurate the Bushnell really was? It was really just bought to show any improvement in speed, so it really does'n matter. But, I get friends and coaches asking how fast she throws and I don't want to be one of those dads that says a number that is not valid, but I don't want to sell her short either. :)

Not ready to drop $199 on a Pocket Radar - yet...:p

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug