Poaching Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
I agree with the post about having a strong team and a positive environment and the players won't want to leave. If you are taking care of your players and parents then you should have nothing to worry about.

I am one of those parents of a player that is looking to leave and turned down a chance to leave mid season. We stayed to complete our commitment. Of course now we have tryouts in late July and early August, with tournaments scheduled in August, things might get a little dicey.

I do take exception to threads like these always seeming to paint parents like me in a bad light though. My 12U daughter is under utilized and plays for a coach that has his "top nine" (subjective) in position for every game (pool play or elimination). She's only been on the dirt for maybe 3 innings in a year with this team, and never gets any real practice time on the infield. Our record is somewhere near 5-16 and have never won more than one game on a Sunday. I don't really care about the wins, it's just to show that the approach isn't exactly making it rain trophies. Had my daughter got more opportunities or even been working on infield in practice I wouldn't thing about leaving. It's tough because I like the coach as a person, love the kids, and get along with the parents.

My point is that not every parent that is looking to move is a selfish parent that over values their kids abilities. I'm not demanding that she start at SS or anything like that, only wanting her to get drills on infield during practice and to get a look for a couple of innings on Saturday. The objective would be as a coach to try and eliminate all the reasons for a player to leave and understand that some will leave no matter what you do. In my view, if you banish a kid to the bench or outfield only at this level, you might as well pack their bags for them.

There are definitely bad coaches, and valid reasons to leave good coaches. I will say that I never fully understood how bad it could get until my DH head coached though. He was an assistant for several years first so I thought I knew. I did not know. Head coaches have to deal with a LOT of crap. And usually it's from just a couple of parents. Most of them are great. But the ones that aren't are really, really not great. And unfortunately they can do some pretty serious damage even when they're a small minority.

May 6, 2015
This has been one of the saddest things about softball for me. My DD always wants to just stay with a group, but it's impossible. We've been trying since 10U and rarely manage to keep more than 4-5 from season to season and often not even that many. At this point I think she's just accepted it. I hate that she had to though. I see a small minority of teams who manage it for the most part, with very little movement each year. I have no idea how they do it but it's something special these days.

i hear you, DD has been on 4 teams in the past two and a half years. just tough finding the right fit. and we are looking at changing again. sometimes the team hopping is inevitable.

first team played only three games that spring, Dd basically shuffled around to fill in for whomever was pitching.

next team, she loved it, we loved HC (she still sees her for lessons), but just too far down depth chart, and coach was pushing to make it an A team, and nothing wrong with that.

third team was D level (D is for daddy) team, HC was a head case, at one tournament, in between games, told the girls to figure out their own drills to help them get ready (DD stepped up and had them doing run down drills, better than nothing), almost got tossed from first game of first tournament due to arguing about opposing P being illegal (with a parent who is also HS umpire telling him she is not ).

current team is mostly one year ahead of DD, moving up, DD not physically ready to move up yet.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
4 team story deleted

Yes, this is the point. There is nothing wrong with trying to find the right fit for your DD and your family. Most of our teams are at risk of turning over 2-3 players every season. Doesn't matter what level the team is at - the top players are at a risk of 'finding the next big team' and the bottom players are at risk of 'finding a team where there will be more playing time' - that is all fine.

As a coach, org board member, etc, etc I have ZERO problems with anything you wrote. Your DD sounds exactly like the sort of player who leaves our org on good terms and comes back in a future season.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
If you are a good B coach you should expect to lose a couple of your players. They need to try and play A ball and see how they do.

Oct 4, 2018
There are definitely bad coaches, and valid reasons to leave good coaches. I will say that I never fully understood how bad it could get until my DH head coached though. He was an assistant for several years first so I thought I knew. I did not know. Head coaches have to deal with a LOT of crap. And usually it's from just a couple of parents. Most of them are great. But the ones that aren't are really, really not great. And unfortunately they can do some pretty serious damage even when they're a small minority.

I've only encountered it on this one team I helped coach, and it wasn't horrible. But wow, I don't think the average parent has *any* idea how tough it is to be Head Coach. Especially as a volunteer. The fact some parents do nothing to help the team and gripe and complain is staggering to me.

Oct 4, 2018
i hear you, DD has been on 4 teams in the past two and a half years. just tough finding the right fit. and we are looking at changing again. sometimes the team hopping is inevitable.

first team played only three games that spring, Dd basically shuffled around to fill in for whomever was pitching.

next team, she loved it, we loved HC (she still sees her for lessons), but just too far down depth chart, and coach was pushing to make it an A team, and nothing wrong with that.

third team was D level (D is for daddy) team, HC was a head case, at one tournament, in between games, told the girls to figure out their own drills to help them get ready (DD stepped up and had them doing run down drills, better than nothing), almost got tossed from first game of first tournament due to arguing about opposing P being illegal (with a parent who is also HS umpire telling him she is not ).

current team is mostly one year ahead of DD, moving up, DD not physically ready to move up yet.

I feel for you. And her. And your family. I hope you soon find the right fit.

Feb 3, 2011
As we wrap up the final few tournaments of the season, it has come to my attention that a Coach on another team is actively trying to recruit and poach my players. The softball world is small and kids talk. How do you handle? This is certainly more than rumor.

For reference, we are a 12u B team, and so is the team in question. This team is developing a bad reputation in a short time, and churns through players frequently.
Pro tip: no one owns the rights to a 12yo girl.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13