Poaching Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Also ... I don’t know that I would consider recruiting at this point to be “poaching”. It is just recruiting. At the beginning of the year or the middle of the season? That’s poaching.

Sep 29, 2014
Also ... I don’t know that I would consider recruiting at this point to be “poaching”. It is just recruiting. At the beginning of the year or the middle of the season? That’s poaching.
This is a very good point. Mid-season yeah I would probably have the same problem...but it sounds like all this is in reference to next season.

Jun 12, 2015
There's a coach here that's been actively after our players for 2 years. I guess now that DH isn't coaching anymore he'll have to learn how to coach them up himself. I say take it as a compliment.

I used to be more bothered by it (poaching in general) but really, the player is the one with the commitment. The coaches are going to do their best to get the best players they can. If the players don't honor their commitment, it's on them. But I still think it's fair to be annoyed.

Apr 1, 2017
Not specific to poaching, but the amount of player movement that happens is something I was very naive about when my daughters started TB a few season ago. I had this idealized picture in my head of this group of 12 learning to play and growing together and getting better each season.

Reality is, there are players that move a lot, almost yearly. In my limited experience, the players that move a lot seems to be a parent issue, not the player. (I'm not talking about players moving up in class to better teams, more the lateral "grass is greener" moves).

Jun 12, 2015
Not specific to poaching, but the amount of player movement that happens is something I was very naive about when my daughters started TB a few season ago. I had this idealized picture in my head of this group of 12 learning to play and growing together and getting better each season.

Reality is, there are players that move a lot, almost yearly. In my limited experience, the players that move a lot seems to be a parent issue, not the player. (I'm not talking about players moving up in class to better teams, more the lateral "grass is greener" moves).

This has been one of the saddest things about softball for me. My DD always wants to just stay with a group, but it's impossible. We've been trying since 10U and rarely manage to keep more than 4-5 from season to season and often not even that many. At this point I think she's just accepted it. I hate that she had to though. I see a small minority of teams who manage it for the most part, with very little movement each year. I have no idea how they do it but it's something special these days.

Sep 29, 2014
This has been one of the saddest things about softball for me. My DD always wants to just stay with a group, but it's impossible. We've been trying since 10U and rarely manage to keep more than 4-5 from season to season and often not even that many. At this point I think she's just accepted it. I hate that she had to though. I see a small minority of teams who manage it for the most part, with very little movement each year. I have no idea how they do it but it's something special these days.
The problem is you would need girls all near the same level and then all growing and getting better at the same rate then all parents having the same level of commitment and goal for their girls and then all coaches and players that got along personally at least on some level. Yeah that's definitely hard to find.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

Apart from parents, it is also a reality that kids develop through the young years so differently and goals/lifestyles change so rapidly, that it is fairly unrealistic to keep kids together through any length of time. Getting 10-14 families moving in the same direction just on softball - not happening.

You have to realize that you don't own or control any of the kids (or their parents) on the team except maybe the ones that live in your house. There is no life time contract or years long agreement. Others can do what they think is best from season to season - right or wrong or good decision or bad decision. As long as they paid their dues and met their commitments, then hopefully both sides kept up their end of their bargain for that season.

We have built a strong org that has players leaving and coming back regularly. We rarely burn bridges - and almost everyone is welcome back if they so desire. Sometimes players leave and get what they need - sometimes they don't.

If you take the attitude that we were lucky to have been involved in a players development - no matter for how long - it is easier to get your head around. All you can do if you want to be as above board as possible is build a great environment and hope that is enough to keep lots of your players.

What has this done? Well most seasons 70-80% of our TRAVEL players stay in the org year to year. And that is a MASSIVE number. We have players who have come and gone up to 5 times - maybe more. We have had TEAMS leave and come back.

Oct 4, 2018
The commute is a big thing. While some parents are fine driving extra to get their girl to the best team possible, the commute to practice is big.

Did ya know that the number one predictor for "Will an Employee Quit their Job?" is commute time.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Here's the reality...There is only ONE true loyalty in travel ball - A parent to what they THINK is the best thing for their kid.

There are lots of different reasons that people change teams. Some are understandable. Some, not so much. Sometimes parents handle it with respect and class. Sometimes, not so much. Sometimes coaches handle it with respect and class. Sometimes, not so much.

When we started TB in 10U, we had the same delusion as a lot of people that this team would develop and grow together - at least the majority of them. For the first 3 years. we had to rebuild every year from just a few players who stayed. When that team finally folded at the end of 12U, only the HC's DD was still a part of the team we joined. In 14U, with a new team and org, we had 9 players return for the second year. Heading into 16U in the fall, we might see the same thing, or we might see the group shatter. There are some things to figure out in the next few weeks as we head into our final tournament of the summer.

As for "poaching", we are a little guilty of that right now. Our team earned a PGF Premier berth, but could really use a little more depth in some areas, so we have been approaching people we know who didn't qualify for PGF to see if they want to join us for the tournament. We aren't trying to steal players, necessarily. Just borrow them. That said, if they like the experience with us, and want to return in the fall, that's up to them ;)

Feb 27, 2019
I agree with the post about having a strong team and a positive environment and the players won't want to leave. If you are taking care of your players and parents then you should have nothing to worry about.

I am one of those parents of a player that is looking to leave and turned down a chance to leave mid season. We stayed to complete our commitment. Of course now we have tryouts in late July and early August, with tournaments scheduled in August, things might get a little dicey.

I do take exception to threads like these always seeming to paint parents like me in a bad light though. My 12U daughter is under utilized and plays for a coach that has his "top nine" (subjective) in position for every game (pool play or elimination). She's only been on the dirt for maybe 3 innings in a year with this team, and never gets any real practice time on the infield. Our record is somewhere near 5-16 and have never won more than one game on a Sunday. I don't really care about the wins, it's just to show that the approach isn't exactly making it rain trophies. Had my daughter got more opportunities or even been working on infield in practice I wouldn't thing about leaving. It's tough because I like the coach as a person, love the kids, and get along with the parents.

My point is that not every parent that is looking to move is a selfish parent that over values their kids abilities. I'm not demanding that she start at SS or anything like that, only wanting her to get drills on infield during practice and to get a look for a couple of innings on Saturday. The objective would be as a coach to try and eliminate all the reasons for a player to leave and understand that some will leave no matter what you do. In my view, if you banish a kid to the bench or outfield only at this level, you might as well pack their bags for them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee