Poaching Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2019
As we wrap up the final few tournaments of the season, it has come to my attention that a Coach on another team is actively trying to recruit and poach my players.

I used to start with a pure 11U team and teach them what they needed to know. I was usually successful taking the core group up through 14U ball, but after that, it was really difficult. When you play in a major metropolitan area as we do, there are just SO MANY teams! And very few play 16U any more. Everyone goes right to 18U, and of course, if you're playing 18U, you must be Gold - or Elite - or some other nonsense adjective. When you're playing your last year of 14U, you see them everywhere. Coaches full of promises, and praise (often exaggerated) for all the DD's, and tales of the tournaments they travel to and the scholarships they've gotten for the players. It's hard to pass up some of those snake oil salesmen.

We did a great job turning rec league kids into solid, fundamentally sound players. And I believe we would have done well moving up through 16U. But I only took 2 different teams through 16U before folding before 18U. At any age (for me, most often after completing 14U), just too difficult to replace 4 or 5 core kids who played key positions. So, I'd start all over again with a new crew of promising 11 y/o's out of the rec league. Miss those days, to be honest.

Feb 3, 2016
Some coaches or organizations just don't develop players. Poaching is the name of the game and they survive preying on parents and kids. If a kid is pushing the upper echelons of softball performance you're getting poached.

PGF teams are filled with these "Coaches". Talent coordinators or headhunters would be more appropriate. Kids from 6 different states and paying families for travel expenses.

Setting a roster and figuring out who's pitching based off of 100's if not thousands of hopeful studs w/5 top tier pitchers ready to go. Wow that must be tough getting the cream of the crop and coach them.

Heck I've got 3 texts from other teams and I'm still at National's. Not for a PGF team but still. I figure if you can coach at a high level and treat people right you don't need to worry about poaching unless a kid is just too good.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee