Poaching Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 23, 2018
As we wrap up the final few tournaments of the season, it has come to my attention that a Coach on another team is actively trying to recruit and poach my players. The softball world is small and kids talk. How do you handle? This is certainly more than rumor.

For reference, we are a 12u B team, and so is the team in question. This team is developing a bad reputation in a short time, and churns through players frequently.

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
As we wrap up the final few tournaments of the season, it has come to my attention that a Coach on another team is actively trying to recruit and poach my players.

This happens and will continue to happen. Coaches will approach parents and try to convince them that their DD isn't getting the reps they deserve, or they are getting girls into college, DD in question isn't being challenged to rise to her full potential, and a litany of other "grass is greener" reasons. Additionally, parents will shop their DD around if they think she isn't getting what she wants (read what they want).

Recommendation: have a frank and honest discussion with the parents, without bad-mouthing, the other team. Gotta take the high road here. Ensure parents understand that this happens. I know it is tough, but take the high-road, communicate your vision for the team. Finally, let the parents know if they are considering leaving, please give you the courtesy of explaining their reasons and allow you to address any concerns.

Jun 11, 2012
Players team hop. Some way more than others. It happens, it’s the nature of the beast.
Unfortunately even if you talk to the parents and ask for a commitment for next season now you still might have players leaving thinking the grass is greener somewhere else.

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
This same topic came up today on a softball Facebook site I am a part of. This is very common in July. Happens every year! Parents are no longer afraid to make known they are unhappy and coaches are asking around so they don’t miss out on a good player. Be the team that nobody wants to leave and problem solved. There would be no bigger compliment than a coach calling your players and they tell them they are happy where they are!

Sep 23, 2018
I understand that players move around. Sometimes the lure of "grass is greener" is hard to turn down. But I have issue with an "experienced" Coach actively trying to recruit my players while watching them at tournaments, talking with their private hitting/pitching/catching instructors, etc.

Maybe we are in the minority, but I have a rule on our team. We will NEVER take a player from another team if that person has not already left that team. If they are unsure and are simply testing the waters etc, we say NO THANK YOU! We value loyalty and integrity, and we put huge emphasis on those attributes.

May 10, 2019
The only thing you can do is to try to build a program that is far better than anyone elses. Create a program that is really hard to leave. That's what I try to accomplish every year. This in my mind challenges the coaches you are talking about.

Sep 23, 2018
The only thing you can do is to try to build a program that is far better than anyone elses. Create a program that is really hard to leave. That's what I try to accomplish every year. This in my mind challenges the coaches you are talking about.

I think we have done that. Is there room to get better......absolutely. We are highly transparent, and share everything within our group. We rarely have anyone leave. No one will probably leave, but I don't want this coach spreading discord within our "family".

Sep 29, 2014
I understand that players move around. Sometimes the lure of "grass is greener" is hard to turn down. But I have issue with an "experienced" Coach actively trying to recruit my players while watching them at tournaments, talking with their private hitting/pitching/catching instructors, etc.

Maybe we are in the minority, but I have a rule on our team. We will NEVER take a player from another team if that person has not already left that team. If they are unsure and are simply testing the waters etc, we say NO THANK YOU! We value loyalty and integrity, and we put huge emphasis on those attributes.
Not sure why you would have an issue with it? What this means is that this coach thinks your players are better than the ones he currently has that's good for you. Now if your parents and kids are not really happy playing for you why would you want them to keep playing. What would you say if it was the coach of the best 12A team in the state going after your #1 or #2 girl....what if they really could grow and you know that they could play on a high level A team but you can't offer them that, why do you want to keep that girl trapped on a B team? I just think you are looking at it the wrong way. What if the 13th girl on your roster doesn't get much playing time but could start on the other team and get the experience they need to grow. Your have to let parents and players pick the right environment for them and just trust that you have built that home for them....my two cents

May 10, 2019
I think we have done that. Is there room to get better......absolutely. We are highly transparent, and share everything within our group. We rarely have anyone leave. No one will probably leave, but I don't want this coach spreading discord within our "family".

I hear you. Someone else wrote coaches will continue this type of "poaching" of players. That has been my expereince and I totally agree with that statement. I always believe that if a player is going to leave my program then they weren't a good fit or didn't see the benefit of our program and how it is better than all the rest.

May 29, 2015
I am liking comments on both sides ... ultimately you cannot get worked up over it. That is how the system works. You can only provide the best experience that you can provide. The fact is your team will not be the right fit 100% of the time for 100% of your players. You need to be supportive of your players’ needs, even if that means needing a growth opportunity.

That said, do not hesitate to communicate with your players and parents. Ask them what they like that you are providing AND what more they want/need. I can guarantee you aren’t perfect and nothing needs to change. If you can change to accommodate those needs, great. If you cannot (meaning it doesn’t fit in with your program values, mission, etc.) then support them as they find that.

It is fantastic that you hold those values for your team and promote them with your players. Just don’t expect everybody to put those above playing time, skill advancement, and winning. (I agree with you — my kids rarely played on winning teams because we wanted them on teams that taught other things.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23