Please tell me about batting cage netting....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 29, 2013
I am about to make a purchase, and I just need to know what #54 means. The description is "heavy duty batting cage #54 12x12x55. I know the dimensions are what I want, but I don't know if #54 is the right twine thickness. It's going to be outdoors.

Can anyone enlighten me? I want to buy the right thing. Thanks!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
#54 is a rating of tencil strength. The higher this number is, the thicker and stronger it'll be. #54 is a really high number, and if taken care of, by simply putting the netting in the garage during the winter months, it should last you.
My outdoor cage is #42 and had been plenty strong. So a 54 will be more than sufficient (probably a bit of over kill)

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
#54 is a rating of tencil strength. The higher this number is, the thicker and stronger it'll be. #54 is a really high number, and if taken care of, by simply putting the netting in the garage during the winter months, it should last you.
My outdoor cage is #42 and had been plenty strong. So a 54 will be more than sufficient (probably a bit of over kill)

I learned something new today.....and I was hardly trying!

Aug 3, 2013
Illinois
I have a 12x12x55 from Gurock,about 10 years old.
I thought it was DuPont Twisted-Knotted Nylon Netting, Diamond Mesh Pattern, #60
I checked their site and see they do not offer #60, so maybe its #42.
I do know its UV treated, and was extra dipped.
Rope boarders all around, with 6 tie off tails.

You might want to look into a rubber backdrop, I have this one (on my 3rd or 4th one as we also use it to pitch into)
Cimarron 5' x 7' Rubber Backstop cm 5X7RBS Baseball Backstop New | eBay

I take mine down in the fall and put it in my basement (eight foot ceiling) so a lot hangs on the floor
We use soft toss, and a jugs lite flight in the basement.

I live in an area with alot of deer, and had to makeup a way to raise it (ropes and pulley's)
had two bucks stuck in it, what a pain to get them out

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The mid #50 to #60 netting is suggested for college level and up to #90 for pro. This rating is assumed that it will be used by the whole team or in a commercial application. If it's just a back yard set up with your kids or maybe some occasional teammates, a #42 is fine. Look into the coatings available... Dupont coating will extend the life by a few years. If you've found a deal that is selling #54 for a comparable price as other companies sell 36 or 42 , you should jump on it.
Netsofamerica.com is who I've dealt with the past couple orders and they've been cheaper, less shipping, and only takes about a week to ship.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
I purchased a 54# 55x12x14 for our league ball field and it is great. They should get a lot of use out of it for several years.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207