Please take a look at my 12 yo DD's technique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
i went to doug gillis clinic over the weekend and he gave a lot of great info. as stated he said look at the power line as 12 oclock. he said a lot of girls only get to about 11 oclock. he also said that if they open across the power line they will be better than before. he said most girls only make it to about 1:30. he also stated the girl will find her sweet spot.

Did you attend the Indy clinic? I was there as well.

Regarding the video and build on what Gillis taught at the clinic. In the launch position the pitcher's body should be leaning much like a runner in mid stride. The back heel should stay down with only enough gap at the heel to fit a credit card. The pitcher rolls the hips forward (not bend at waist) as far as possible without falling. This will lead to a strong launch position.

Prior to launch should have a couple other positions. Toe tap in which all of the weight is on the ball hand with glove side toe tapping the ground. From there, roll back (hips/spine together) so that the ball side toe lifts. Both of these are slower loading moves and from the back position she will begin to launch...

Hope that helps a bit.

Sep 7, 2011
Brad,

Yeah that is what I am saying, she needs to go across her power line, towards a right handed batter. And I went to the Doug Gillis Clinic here in Seattle, however, my daughters pitching coach has been advocating this same style for a while.

My daughter lands at 12:30, just a little across her power line, that is her sweet spot. The idea here is, when you throw over hand you will throw across your body, since you are stronger at angles and throwing across your body, why wouldn't you do the same for throwing under hand.

Also, where your front foot lands has basically nothing to do with where the ball is going, girls can adjust, and throw it where they want too, small changes in the arm and hand and I mean small, millimeters. Doug Gillis had a good example, throw to someone's left shoulder over hand, then throw to their right shoulder overhand, I bety ou didn't change where your front foot landed, that is because that has nothing to do with it.

Now some girls move their back leg behind them to get more open, you will see an S curve with their back drag foot. But this S curve is not necessary if your daughter goes across her power line.

If she is throwing inside on a right handed batter, this usually means but not always that her hip is in her way and forcing your snap out from her body making her throw inside. By going across her power line this will move that hip behind her more and make more room for her hand so she can throw straight.

Sep 7, 2011
Brad,

Again, I can't see very well with the video provided, but if that hip is getting in the way of her hand and snap, then the best thing to to do is have her do more drills sideways. It's good practice to do a lot of drills sideways, this is my opinion, because girls will learn to get open when there arm is at the top of their cirlce.

Now Doug Gillis has more drills with the girls with their hip and shoulders always at the 45 degree closed. I believe this is good and bad, it may help them to learn the release point, however, may hinder them to getting open.

Finally and then I will shut up. From what I could see from the Video, your daughters form is heading in the right direction, so tell her good job and keep working hard.

May 31, 2011
Brad,

Again, I can't see very well with the video provided, but if that hip is getting in the way of her hand and snap, then the best thing to to do is have her do more drills sideways. It's good practice to do a lot of drills sideways, this is my opinion, because girls will learn to get open when there arm is at the top of their cirlce.

Now Doug Gillis has more drills with the girls with their hip and shoulders always at the 45 degree closed. I believe this is good and bad, it may help them to learn the release point, however, may hinder them to getting open.

Finally and then I will shut up. From what I could see from the Video, your daughters form is heading in the right direction, so tell her good job and keep working hard.

Thanks for all the good advice...especially the last sentence. I don't do that nearly enough.

Sep 7, 2011
Screwball,

I totally agree, that Gillis and Smith are adults, have thrown thousands of pitches, are of big build, and have huge hands (compared to a girl/women) and a lot of their methods don't apply to young girls. A good pitching coach will take what they learned from these men and apply what methods will be useful to the young girls learning how to pitch. And girls get more accurate after they have thrown thousands of pitches.

My daughter is extremely accurate with her pitches (inside and out, not as much with up and down, but not bad), I believe that she doesn't think about where her foot is landing or anything when she is throwing to a position, she just does it. I will ask her later to confirm.

By the Way, Brad, I am not an expert, and I have only been around pitching for about 3 to 4 years and my daughter is 14, but I try to absorb as much information as I can, I'm like a spunge when it comes to pitching and I'm always willing to learn more. So please don't take my advice as the gospel truth. I wish what I know now, I had known then. Plus I wish I had known this board existed 4 years ago. There are several people on here that offer great advice.

It would be great if a few more of the seasoned PC's would provide their thoughts on this subject.

As a pitcher, and a pitching coach, it's often hard to describe to the kids in a way they understand. The simplest process I use to ensure my pitchers are stepping correctly is this: If they focus on their stride foot big toe landing first, rather than landing foot first, heel first, etc., they are at a correct position for their hips through the pitch. It's a measurable and observable way to teach. If they can't quite feel it you can have them take their stride foot shoe off and slowly step and stride to their toe touch position, checking and feeling whether the big toe lands first. Just another way of teaching. Good luck!

Sep 7, 2011
I believe you want the girl to plant her foot solid on the ball or heal, not toe first, to help transfer more energy to the arm. I will shut up now.

Feb 20, 2012
pitching off her front foot getting her weight too far forward. AS for pitching inside she could be going behind her head with circle or turning her wrist in snap/release

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207