Please take a look at my 12 yo DD's technique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2011

Sorry about the quality. These were taken with a cell phone (an old one at that). At any rate, I would appreciate any suggestions on areas we need to work on. She throws pretty hard, and inadvertently throws a pretty nasty peel drop when her release point is right. I have some concerns, but I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not.

She tends to throw inside (on a right -handed hitter) pretty regularly. She's just inconsistent and I think it stems from the fact that she doesn't get open, bowls occasionally, and has an inconsistent release point. Please take a look and offer some suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited:
May 31, 2011

Here's a slightly different angle. Forgot to mention that I'm not sure she is driving off the mound properly. If you watch closely, you can see she lifts her foot slightly and actually drives off of the ground rather than the rubber.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
Please try and get better video and post it. From what I can tell she is doing alot of things right but the video is so blurred that it is hard to tell for sure.

May 31, 2011
This is as good as it gets for the time being...anyone??? Big picture question, and the main issue IMO...are her hips and shoulder open enough?

Sep 7, 2011
One quick way to get her to go more sideways, or more open, is to have her front foot land across her power line. So instead of 12 o'clock, have her land at 1 or 2. After landing/pitching several times across her power line, she will find her sweet spot.

I agree with the others, this video makes it very difficult to see what exactly is going on with her hips and shoulders.

Last edited:
May 31, 2011
Just so I'm sure I follow you, since she is right handed you are saying she needs to step towards a right handed hitter rather than straight to the catcher?

Jan 2, 2012
i went to doug gillis clinic over the weekend and he gave a lot of great info. as stated he said look at the power line as 12 oclock. he said a lot of girls only get to about 11 oclock. he also said that if they open across the power line they will be better than before. he said most girls only make it to about 1:30. he also stated the girl will find her sweet spot.

May 31, 2011
Good info...again just to be sure I'm tracking with you, you mean having a right handed pitcher stepping towards a right handed hitter (or 1:30 on the clock as she would be looking at it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd