Please help with DDs pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
Here was DD pitching last weekend. I think she can get more efficient please tell me what you think

[video=youtube_share;uVJ4pKhMOPk]http://youtu.be/uVJ4pKhMOPk[/video]

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Is she throwing a change-up? I ask that because that's what her release looks like. If not, I think one of the main things she needs to work on is the snapping of the whip back closer to her back thigh. Her release isn't a snapping of the whip, but rather her release is clear out in front of her front thigh, greatly weakening her throw.

It'll be interesting what the real experts have to suggest.

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
No i do not believe it is a change up. She just started pitching again this season. she pitched 2 seasons ago B level team was taught hello elbow. she throws 46 to 52 for fast ball. I think with some help she can throw harder.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I agree with Doug and Lou. Set up the whip early with a focus on a flexed arm all the way around the circle. At 12 o'clock her arm is straight, while Scarborough's arm is flexed:

A1.jpgAS1.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
At 9 o'clock, her arm is still straight:

A2.jpgAS2.jpg

She's also showing some signs of a weak plant and her release angle might be a bit too open.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
At release, her arm never really gets much whip: upper arm barely decelerates and ball speed is dependant on arm circle speed. Notice how Scarborough's upper arm has paused, or locked at ther side? This pause transfers all of the energy into the lower arm and down to the finger tips. Ball speed is generated very efficiently using good mecahnics rather than muscle/arm circle speed:

A3.jpgA4.jpg

AS3.jpgAS5.jpg

Attachments

• A5.jpg
    A5.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 69
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Look at the back foot in the above pics... heavy side of foot with no hip torque or light toe with hip torque.
she does however do a nice job of getting her hand inside the ball at release. keep the glove on the power line too. Lack of proper resistance due to the forward leaning.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Even at about the same point in follow through, Scarborough's upper arm is only now unlocking:

A5.jpgAS6.jpg

Check out the sticky at the top of the pitching forum called "I/R in the Classroom." Good place to start.

At some point, check out the "Drive Mechanics" sticky for ideas on how to improve her lower body, which sets the stage for optimum whip.

Hope that helps,
Ken

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors