Please critique my Dd swing!!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yep. That's her getting set. Can you explain to me what that action actually does to improve a swing? And why it would matter if you did it before or after the ball left the pitchers hand?

I notice you 'thanked' JBooth's post above. What I'm describing is why she isn't realizing what JB commented on. But getting the sequence correct accomplishes MUCH more than that ... it should be considered the basis of the swing due to its importance.

May 16, 2010
Yep. That's her getting set. Can you explain to me what that action actually does to improve a swing? And why it would matter if you did it before or after the ball left the pitchers hand?

A pre-load is not bad in and of itself, but the problem is; you can end up doing what she does. She takes them out of the load too soon. If you load as you push out, you can keep the hands back longer. They feel as if they are going back as you stride out, even though they just stay back. IOW, you "walk away" from them.

Coaches often pre-load the student in an effort to get them to the ball quicker, but that isn't the proper fix. Simply timing the necessary movements with the pitch is better.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In addition to keeping the hands back longer as JB mentions, you'll obtain the separation that JB mentioned. This will open up greater segmentation for the remainder of the swing ... for example, the hips leading the shoulders/hands will be more natural, power will be greater, much more probable to have SnF related mechanics, adjustability will be greater, and you'll be dealing with a swing that now scales ... which the current swing will not.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Her pre-load leads to this lack of "walking away from the hands".

28hlf88.gif

Dec 21, 2011
Thanks for everyone's input!!!! We will take it all in to consideration. I really do appreciate you guys taking the time.

The Uncoach

Clubhouse 7up
Jan 19, 2011
She has a hitting coach. She has an outstanding swing for 10U. You want input and are taking it all into consideration. There is something missing here.

Dec 21, 2011
I agree uncoach. She had a stellar batting avg. and had lots of h.r's at 9 last year also. Not to bad for a swing that doesn't scale.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Beastcake ... your daughter has a good swing for a 10U player. But as is, it won't scale and will require an adjustment to her sequence. She's young ... and you aren't receiving any feedback at this point to make any changes ... so I don't expect you to appreciate the feedback given here. Those that have gone through multiple generations of building hitters will better appreciate the scaling issues. For now ... enjoy ... your daughter does a lot correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi