Playing up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
It all depends on the kid and circumstances. It could help development if they're advanced for their age, or it could be a hindrance with them spending too much time on the bench. DD played up through 10U because she was capable, especially on defense, but also because it was more convenient with her older sister on the same team that I was coaching. However, being on the younger side for her birth year, I ended up holding her at 10U for an extra season to allow her to catch up in size and experiment with pitching lessons. After that, she played within her age group.

I'd be careful about putting a 12U on a 14U or older team. The differences can be significant both on the field and in the dugout. Putting a 16U on an 18U team isn't a big deal, but if you're looking for something beyond JUCO, being on a good 16U team that plays in the right tournaments is the way to go.

Apr 14, 2022
I would suggest playing with your grade. If you have a December birthday you will always be playing a year ahead of Jan in your same grade if they choose.
If you are a Jan Birthday IMHO stay with your grade and do not play down. Sadly many play down to dominate or trophy hunt.
Why a pitcher would stay smaller ball and or distance, while classmates were changing is beyond me.

Aug 23, 2016
I'd be careful about putting a 12U on a 14U or older team. The differences can be significant both on the field and in the dugout. Putting a 16U on an 18U team isn't a big deal, but if you're looking for something beyond JUCO, being on a good 16U team that plays in the right tournaments is the way to go.

My DD's 14U team sometimes borrows a 12U catcher when they're short a few players. Her biggest job is to warm up pitchers, so she's in the dugout most of the game. DD's teammates are vigilant to keep conversations age-appropriate for her (DD says that every once in a while someone will chime in with, "Guys, there's a CHILD in the dugout!") but I am sure she's heard some things she probably shouldn't have. Hell, I'm 50 years old and every once in a while I hear the girls talk and I think I'm too young to hear what's being said.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Wondering what peoples opinions are on a player playing up vs playing with their own age group. I kinda feel like if you can you should as the experience playing with older and more talented kids can really help the development.

There are two issues.

First, is she good enough to play up and get substantial playing time?

If she is dominant in her age group, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to stay at that age group.

As an FYI, there is a huge jump from 14U to 16U talent wise.

Amanda Findley drove in all 4 of Michigan's runs when Michigan beat UCLA and won the CWS. Amanda was already a great hitter at 12YOA. She played in the 18U Boulder Independence Day tourney at 12YOA. Why would anyone dream of having Amanda play 12U?

Similarly, my DD pitched her first 18U game at 13YOA. She pitched only one 14U game against a top 14U team and struck out 15 or so. It was a waste of time for her to play 14U.

Second, can your DD handle the emotional aspects of playing up?

This is a more difficult issue. 18YOA girls are 13YOA are quite a bit different. She might see and hear things you would prefer her not to hear--so, you, as a parent, have to be prepared to do a lot more chaperoning and explaining about stuff.

May 16, 2016
You really want to be on a team your age during the 16u recruiting years. I've seen kids who are younger/older than the rest of their team get overlooked when coaches come to watch games. Team full of 2024s, and you are the sole 2025... coaches are not watching you. Then the following year when they are looking at 2025s, are coaches going to come watch a team with a single 2025, or gravitate to teams that are full of 2025s?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA