Playing up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2022
Wondering what peoples opinions are on a player playing up vs playing with their own age group. I kinda feel like if you can you should as the experience playing with older and more talented kids can really help the development.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Depends on a lot of factors:

1. Which team does she like more? (meaning she feels confident)
2. Which team gives her more playing time?
3. Which team plays against tougher competition?

I personally prefer playing in your age group on the best team you can (where you still get plenty of playing time).

There are amazingly good 12U teams and really bad 14U teams. Playing up in age doesn't really mean much. Playing on a better team does.

Jun 8, 2016
If you’re not playing in every game and batting last or close to last playing up is it worth it when you could be playing every inning and batting at the top of the order if you’re in your age group?
No.

My DD has played up since she started but has been one of the better players on the teams she has played on. Also the quality of the team she has played up on has been as good
as if she had played local in her age group (she might be able to play on a top National level team if we were ready to go out of State to play but we are not ready to do that yet at 12 YO). At some point she might move down to her age group but that won't probably happen till 16's (she is playing on a second year 14 team now)

Mar 4, 2015
New England
If you’re not playing in every game and batting last or close to last playing up is it worth it when you could be playing every inning and batting at the top of the order if you’re in your age group? I know practicing with older girls is beneficial but does game experience outweigh that?

Unless adults are influencing them, kids don't normally choose to play on teams that limit their playing time and make them one of the weaker players, IMO. They want to have fun, and playing all the time and being one of your team's best players is about as fun as it gets. That's assuming she likes her coaches and teammates. The only reason I'd consider the older team would be if my DD really preferred those coaches and teammates and told me she really wanted to play with them instead.

Edit to clarify: I'm basing this on this description of the older team: ''you’re not playing in every game and batting last or close to last.'' If the more challenging situation is fun, then go for it, but once kids start sitting out entire games, they'd usually rather be batting third and playing all the time.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Just Depends.

Every kid is different and all teams are not made the same. You have to determine where you kid might fit in on the team and against the teams they play. Are you confident that the older team will develop her skill set?

My kid played up every in every age division 14U, 16U and 18U. Not to say she was a stud during those younger years. Played 3 years at 18U instead of 1 year. It was right for her and the situation warranted it. It certainly prepared her for college ball.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Instead of thinking about how a DD will fit within a team(ie batting order, playing time), think about how the team fits into your DD's head. What motivates her? What lessons are you trying to get out of this game?

With the 2 year age grouping that this game already does, no one will spend their career playing just within a single year's age range as the boys do.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Have had students 13 years old that could play on some 18u teams. That doesn't mean the 18u team was a better place to learn and grow.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Wondering what peoples opinions are on a player playing up vs playing with their own age group. In the 12-14u age group would it be better for her to play up to 14-16 knowing that the team is going to dissolve eventually and she’ll end up with her own age group sooner or later. I’m not talking just guest playing, I mean as a roster spot. If you’re not playing in every game and batting last or close to last playing up is it worth it when you could be playing every inning and batting at the top of the order if you’re in your age group? I know practicing with older girls is beneficial but does game experience outweigh that?
Just for conversation this looks like it is either a post about playing time? Rather than a post about being challenged and developed.

I do not think softball is an age bracket
Rather, it is talent levels.
that said
* Appropriate talent and development level is what people should be seeking regardless of age.
Plus goals both of the player and team goals should align.
Playing up could be a good opportunity to fill the goals of the player. But just because of player can play up doesn't mean it's a better situation.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
Try and play on a team where you are the starting player at your position and the 3rd or 4th best player over all so that you have players around you who excel and can push you. That may mean playing up or playing better depending on your situation and what you are willing to take on as a family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 22, 2015
Wondering what peoples opinions are on a player playing up vs playing with their own age group. In the 12-14u age group would it be better for her to play up to 14-16 knowing that the team is going to dissolve eventually and she’ll end up with her own age group sooner or later. I’m not talking just guest playing, I mean as a roster spot. If you’re not playing in every game and batting last or close to last playing up is it worth it when you could be playing every inning and batting at the top of the order if you’re in your age group? I know practicing with older girls is beneficial but does game experience outweigh that?
Every kid is different, but my experiences seeing this play out many times over the years have been that most 12-14 yo shouldn't play up unless they absolutely dominate at their age group and simply don't have any competition. If a kid can play 16u then they can play 18u and I haven't seen many who regretted moving up at that age. But, I've seen several kids who regretted moving up at younger ages. I certainly wouldn't move a kid up an age group to have them sit the bench. If they can't start at the higher level then I definitely wouldn't do it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA