Playing softball with a broken toe

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2009
My daughter fractured her toe 3 days ago. It was a very minor fracture and did not even swell or turn colors. How long should I wait before I let her play ball? Has this ever happened to you or your kids?
Thanks
Elizabeth

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would think that the doctor would have told you.

I am guessing when she can run without pain.

My son hit my big toe with a thrown baseball, but I had a serious break and was on crutches.

Jan 15, 2009
I would encourage you to ask a doctor. If she is a pitcher and it's her drive foot be sure to tell the doctor that and describe the motion because that would probably not be normal range of motion that the doctor would think of when thinking playing softball.

Better to err on the side of caution.

Jun 20, 2008
My dd broke her toe many years ago (next to big toe). It was on her plant foot. She was out for 2 weeks. When we went back and did more xray, the foot doctor said that she should take one more week off before pitching again.

Her toe never healed. The doctor said that the angle the toe was broken would keep it from healing. Only other option was surgery. Since it doesn't bother her, he said not to worry about it.

To this day, she pitches with her broken toe, that was about 4 years ago.

Apr 6, 2010
Oklahoma
Just a funny story:

At 12 years old, I broke my pinkie toe on my stepping foot which swelled to the point it hurt to put a shoe on.. Of course it was offseason, but we (my dad mostly) didn't want to lose my pitching mechanics and sit out on practice for 2 weeks.. SOOO I wore a house shoe with rubber bottom.. Problem solved :) Now thats dedication haha

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I must say that I broke three toes once. My toes turned black, blue, purple, green, etc. Even the pad of my foot was bruised during the break. Mama said, we'll the doctor will just tape them together. At 10U, I was so stubborn I played a game that afternoon. Didn't wear anything but flip flops when I wasn't in cleats for about a month afterward, seriously.

Ask her how she feels about it, talk to her doctor. Don't be crazy like my mother and not take her to the doctor. I've got crooked toes because of her letting them do their own thing.

Mar 15, 2010
My DD broke her pinkie toe and her 5th metatarsal from a foul ball off the foot. Took her 12 weeks to heal to the point she could play and almost 9 months before she was back at 100%. Take the injury very seriously and check with your doctor before playing again. If your DD is prescribed a boot for her foot, make sure she wears it. As you have seen from the other posts the bone can heal incorrectly and cause serious problems later in life. While softball is an important part of your DDs life today that will not always be the case. Make sure she heals fully, is cleared by the doctor and, most importantly, tells you if the toe/foot starts to hurt after she resumes playing.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
The one problem that could happen with when playing with an injury is that she may inadvertently injure something else trying to compensate for the broken toe or cause other issues when batting, fielding, etc.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Yes it happened to my (then) 11 yo DD at the end of the season right before playoffs started.
So like any concerned parent, I posted my question on a softball board and was told to see a doctor!
typically they seem to require two weeks of rest- but it all depends on the severity of the injury.
If it happened to me, I would want to make sure it healed right so that it didn't drag on and on as these kinds of injuries can do.

How do you know she broke it?

Ask a doctor how long not to play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1