players rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2011
ok, forgive me for asking a stupid question BUT, I can not figure out the ASA rule book, drives me crazy. Can one of you rule masters point me to the sections where is states how many players are allowed to bat? Our league does not use the dp of flex by-the-way.
Thanks in advance.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
ok, forgive me for asking a stupid question BUT, I can not figure out the ASA rule book, drives me crazy. Can one of you rule masters point me to the sections where is states how many players are allowed to bat? Our league does not use the dp of flex by-the-way.
Thanks in advance.

Rule 4.1, page 47 of the 2011 rule book

Mar 28, 2011
ok. here is another one that was a very unusual play last game. My batter hit a ball that bounced before it arrived to the plate, popped it up to the pitcher, she caught it. Umpire ruled live ball in play, out on the catch. This makes every bit of sense to me but I have coaches and parents that think otherwise. I can't find it in the ASA rule book. MTR, can you lead the way again? Thanks in advance.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I don't have a specific rule to point you to but the ball is live. Just like if the ball bounces and then hits a batter it is still a hit by pitch.
Looks weird when a batter hits a bounced ball cricket style but for some reason my daughter had a few of those when she was 8 and they were always played through. Some she got hits, some they got her out at 1st.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
There are no specific words in the ASA rulebook I'm aware of that say what your looking for. However, you may try using the definition of an illegally batted ball on page 27 of the 2011 rulebook and show your parents that hitting a bounced ball is not part of that definition.

Jun 22, 2008
Batter must be given the opportunity to hit any pitched ball. If the pitcher were to drop the ball on release and it was rolling toward plate, the batter must still be given the option of hitting the ball. If the catcher were to step out and pick up the ball prior to it reaching the plate, it would be catchers obstruction, batter awarded 1st base.

Oct 24, 2010
ok. here is another one that was a very unusual play last game. My batter hit a ball that bounced before it arrived to the plate, popped it up to the pitcher, she caught it. Umpire ruled live ball in play, out on the catch. This makes every bit of sense to me but I have coaches and parents that think otherwise. I can't find it in the ASA rule book. MTR, can you lead the way again? Thanks in advance.

7.5.A tells you this would be a ball if it bounces before reaching home plate and the batter does not swing. The ball is live. It follows that if the batter swings, this would be a strike and that the ball can be put in play.

8.2.C tells you the batter is out if a fielder catches a fly ball before it touches the ground.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If there's no rule that says a bounced pitch is a dead ball, then it can only be a live ball. Of course, a live pitch can be batted into play.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Batter must be given the opportunity to hit any pitched ball. If the pitcher were to drop the ball on release and it was rolling toward plate, the batter must still be given the option of hitting the ball. If the catcher were to step out and pick up the ball prior to it reaching the plate, it would be catchers obstruction, batter awarded 1st base.

HS game last week, we had this happen. Pitcher rolled the ball toward home, runner at 2nd took off to 3rd as the catcher jumped up and ran out toward the mound and picked up the ball. Umpire didn't call it (score was 12-0 in the 3rd) and it wasn't a big deal. But if he had, would the runner be returned to 2nd?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie