Player wants to play soccer and softball at same time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
We lost our shortstop to soccer this year (14u freshman). We are considering letting her play with us this summer but she'll be a fill in I think it will be hard for her not being frontline player but as OP said shes still a better player than most. I hate soccer :)

Jul 28, 2008
That would be a question for the AD and their rules. Personally, I have never heard of it around here for HS sports. I don't know how, locally, they would get in their required practices for each sport to be eligible to play in games. It would seem to me that the team cohesiveness would affected when she doesn't show up for practice but can make the games. Having experiences with both sports, there is so much more in softball that needs to be worked on than soccer, I can't see how missing softball practice would be acceptable.

BTW, what was the ruling on this?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
That would be a question for the AD and their rules. Personally, I have never heard of it around here for HS sports. I don't know how, locally, they would get in their required practices for each sport to be eligible to play in games.

That must be a local thing.

It would seem to me that the team cohesiveness would affected when she doesn't show up for practice but can make the games. Having experiences with both sports, there is so much more in softball that needs to be worked on than soccer, I can't see how missing softball practice would be acceptable.

Wouldn't that depend on the team, size of school, class, number of willing participants, etc.? You know, not everyone needs 20 hours of practice a week to be good at something. Some don't need any practice at all at certain levels. I see this as something that is strictly up the the AD and coaches. I don't believe there should ever be an absolute rule restricting a healthy student's participation in any sport as long as they can keep up their grades. And that includes activity outside the school's realm.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Wouldn't that depend on the team, size of school, class, number of willing participants, etc.?

That is what I have been thinking too. I am not sure a girl can play BB on our HS Team and participate in any other sports, let alone another in season sport. Not an official rule, an unwritten rule. Football seems to be moving the same way, might be there already.

Our HS happens to be huge so they have a lot of control, smaller schools have a lot less lenient guidelines.

Edit to add:

One of the advantages of a big school is my niece was a freshmen last year, same area different school.

With cuts they still fielded 2 freshmen basketball teams, even though 5 freshmen moved up. Same with softball but not sure how many players moved up. The 2 freshmen softball Teams alternated playing games, for double headers 1 Team played the 1st games the other 1 the second. Do not know the exact details but they had enough good players to have 2 competitive Teams. Obviously going to get harder next year, then harder the next year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06