Player wants to play soccer and softball at same time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
A decision has already been made but what would you do when a player wants to play both sports at the same time in HS varsity? She wants to play soccer because her Senior sister is playing soccer. She would not be able to attend all softball practices but would be able to attend most games. She is better skilled at her desired position in softball than the girl in that position.

Nov 29, 2009
What does the soccer coach say? Will she be missing soccer practices as well?? If not then she is a soccer player who also plays softball. Tell her to devote all her time to soccer and develop a player for the position she was playing.

I would give her to a certain date to make up her mind. If she chooses soccer or still wants to play both then tell her she will not play X amount of games for each practice missed. The problem will take care of itself after that.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Around here, both coaches have to approve of this. The school has an academic standard that must be met and the athlete and her parents have to sign an agreement designating a primary sport, which has precedence over all conflicts in game schedule.

IMHO She needs to pick one (and it looks like she already has) for this year and commit to it. Both sports are demanding and as a very wise man once said: "no man (or HS girl for that matter) can serve two masters."
Plus, it is hard (for me at least) to sit people who are practicing and fully committed to their sport, behind someone who is not fully committed.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
As long as she keeps up her grades and any commitment in the home, let her do both if you (parents) can handle the necessary accommodations (transportation, equipment, etc.).

The team where she is short on practice will probably cost her playing time, but so what if she is happy? If somewhere along the way she becomes disillusioned with how things are proceding, hopefully she learns a life lesson.

After all, for as often as I read it is all about the DD, I don't see why the same consideration would not apply here.

Oct 19, 2009
We had this happen when a girl at our HS played basketball and volleyball at the same time. She had to miss practice in both sports when game and practice conflicted. When games conflicted she had to make a decision BB or VB. Being on both teams she denied another kid from making one or other of the teams.

IMO it is a no win situation for the player, team and teammates of both teams.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD's HS does not allow 2 Varsity sports in the same season.

When DD was little we let her play whatever sport she wanted to play (soccer, basketball, softball, track (still holds 8lb shot put record for her middle school). We told her that by HS she would need to choose and play only 1 per season. Thank goodness she chose Softball during spring and Basket Ball in winter (when TB isn't playing).

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
It is allowed here, but it mainly happens in the fall. Example Soccer and golf. Spring Track with boys at times. I'm glad soccer is a fall sport here and softball is a spring sport, or my dd would be stressed. With colleges talking to her about both sports , its tough enough for her to pick one. Rule here is both coaches must work out a schedule and they must pick a primary. Our AD actually pushes this.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I personally think that she needs to pick one or the other.

In my high school, there were a lot of girls who played field hockey and ran cross country, but only because they could do the cross country run after field hockey practice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478