Player skipping this weekend with regular team to guest for another!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2009
What do you do in this situation? We have a player who doesn't pitch much on our team. She is the #5 or #6 pitcher so there's not a lot of innings to go around. When she has pitched in the past,she gets hit pretty hard.

She informs the coach mid week that she won't be at the tournament this weekend becasue she is guesting for another team that will get her 3 games on the mound.

If it was my call her choice would be...you play for us or you're off the team.

What would you do?

When my DD began pitching at 10u she was the #3 pitcher. It was very difficult for her to get time, I cannot imagine what it would have been like to be #5 or #6. With the encouragement of her HC she did guest pitch for other teams to get the circle time. It was critical for her development and became the #1 and a very good tb pitcher.

Having a pitcher NOT pitch is not productive for anybody. Why not welcome her to get the time and who knows maybe she will become your new #1 in time. Or at least push your other pitchers.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
She doesn't pitch much, but I never said she doesn't play elsewhere. She is our starting left fielder,so it's not like she isn't playing at all.

And she definitely is not as good as she must think she is.

We have 3-4 pretty decent pitchers...there's a clear #1 and #2 and the #3 and #4 are comparable with one another.

Yes, I figured she played another position. Pitchers are fragile creatures, and their parents equally as fragile. I'm sure you could type for an hour explaining the whole deal. Was she promised/recruited to pitch? I know some coaches make big promises that are hard to keep.

If she leaves, how many players does that leave?

If she/parents are being nasty about it, let them go, it will only get worse. If they are being upfront and nice, I'd give them some space and choices. This is not one of those yes or no questions, too many facts to consider and individual choices. But I would be firm to let them know they will have to choose one team or the other after this weekend.

Let us know how it works out and good luck.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I wouldn't be surprised if the kid doesn't want to pitch and prefers to play OF, but her parents want something else.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
If it is truly about the kids...then let her go, even encourage her. If she really wants to pitch, she needs to. Maybe it will be a big eye-opener for her (and parents), or just maybe she actually would be good enough to pitch just doesn't get a chance. After all, how could anyone possibly get enough time after number 4 to see if she is a good pitcher or not? There's a lot more to pitching than just hitting the glove in practice.

Jun 21, 2012
When my DD began pitching at 10u she was the #3 pitcher. It was very difficult for her to get time, I cannot imagine what it would have been like to be #5 or #6. With the encouragement of her HC she did guest pitch for other teams to get the circle time. It was critical for her development and became the #1 and a very good tb pitcher.

Having a pitcher NOT pitch is not productive for anybody. Why not welcome her to get the time and who knows maybe she will become your new #1 in time. Or at least push your other pitchers.

She has opportunities to pitch in weekday summer leagues as opposed to turning her back on her travel team. She made a
to the team and should stick to it. If at the end of the year she wants to leave then that's fine. I understand that it's not productive for her to not pitch, but she can't leave her team high and dry with 3 days notice. That's a selfish thing to do.
She was not made any promises and she will never be the #1 on our team.

Jun 21, 2012
If it is truly about the kids...then let her go, even encourage her. If she really wants to pitch, she needs to. Maybe it will be a big eye-opener for her (and parents), or just maybe she actually would be good enough to pitch just doesn't get a chance. After all, how could anyone possibly get enough time after number 4 to see if she is a good pitcher or not? There's a lot more to pitching than just hitting the glove in practice.

We know this girl and her abilities...she has been on this team for a couple of years now. We know what she can and cannot do in the circle. Bottom line, it is what it is. She is the #5 or #6 and that's the way it is. BUT,she made a comittment to this team for the year and should see it through. After that,she can go anywhere she chooses.

Feb 16, 2012
Last year my DD was recruited to pitch but in reality onlyl received the losing end of very lop sided games. I approached the HC on a couple of occasions (she was 11) and he gave me bs answers. Once the season was over we left. On her current team in the fall she didn't get much pitching time even though she was better than two of the other pitchers but not the "#1" pitcher. The coach told her to work hard over the winter and now she is the "#1" pitcher, although I consider her and one other pitcher equals in every aspect.

As a former HC and now an AC I would have a real problem with this. She made a commitment to the team. If she is unhappy about pitching time and will not get it then they need to have a conversation with the HC about being released. Missing a tournament to play for someone else is unacceptable. If you are that unhappy then leave and be released by the team. If it isn't bad enough to leave now then wait till the season is over. This sets a bad precedent for other players on the team. IMHO

Feb 3, 2011
Again we have a possible roster violation if a qualifier for any kind of berth. This time of year, almost all are qualifiers. (USSSA has electronic rosters that are easy for everyone to check. ASA-- it is against what the player and coach sign although it appears only sporadically checked.) Coach has to release you and it would be nice to offer more notice. Of course this is a sore spot with both sides.
What you say is theoretically possible, but how likely is it that 2 tournaments in the same area would be under the same sanction? I would bet the 2 events are not related, so no roster conflicts would arise.

Fastpitchsb never said what age this is, but it sounds like 12u. I would not kick her off a 10u or 12u team, but there would have to be a penalty after the weekend, which could include suspension or dismissal. If this is 14u or above, she is off the team and can go audition for all the pitching positions she wants.

Jun 21, 2012
What you say is theoretically possible, but how likely is it that 2 tournaments in the same area would be under the same sanction? I would bet the 2 events are not related, so no roster conflicts would arise.

Fastpitchsb never said what age this is, but it sounds like 12u. I would not kick her off a 10u or 12u team, but there would have to be a penalty after the weekend, which could include suspension or dismissal. If this is 14u or above, she is off the team and can go audition for all the pitching positions she wants.

Sorry about that...it's a 14U A team

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If it is truly about the kids...then let her go

What about the kids she's walking out on Saturday? It's about the kids (plural), not the kid (singular), right?

If I've got an unhappy kid, I'm willing to meet them half way and even help them find a new team. But bailing on Wednesday is not cool. Unless I'm missing something.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283