Player skipping this weekend with regular team to guest for another!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2012
What do you do in this situation? We have a player who doesn't pitch much on our team. She is the #5 or #6 pitcher so there's not a lot of innings to go around. When she has pitched in the past,she gets hit pretty hard.

She informs the coach mid week that she won't be at the tournament this weekend becasue she is guesting for another team that will get her 3 games on the mound.

If it was my call her choice would be...you play for us or you're off the team.

What would you do?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
If it was my call her choice would be...you play for us or you're off the team.

But you just said she doesn't pitch much. How can you expect someone who is trying to become a pitcher to just hang around a team for a couple of innings a weekend? She will never get better that way. If she is #5-6, I doubt you will miss her that much anyway.

5-6 pitchers is way to many for a FP team, you're just asking for trouble and you'll never keep all parties happy.

I'd let her go and test the water, it may work out better for her and for your team.

Note: If this was my ace or #2 pitcher.........I'd have a problem with it.

May 17, 2012
I agree I can't believe you have 6 pitchers. Having said that I can't believe she signed on to be a teams 5th or 6th pitcher. Either you are loaded at pitcher or she's not as good as she thinks she is.

If she doesn't leave you short players I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Jun 18, 2010
If you don't put your foot down with #6, what example will that set for #7 and #8.... ;-) Wow, 6 pitchers, what age group?

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2011
Central Florida
If her heart was set on pitching I would have suggested another team. In the end it's really about the girls. If there's a good fit in your organization then it's a win win.

Jun 22, 2008
Getting pitching time on another team on off weekends is one thing, informing the coach mid week she is going to miss her own teams tournament to pitch for another is completely different. When you join a team you make a commitment to be at practices and games, if she doesnt feel she is getting enough pitching time, she should either not have joined the current team in the first place or should leave and find another. None of the coaches my daughter has ever played for would be open to this, heck one of them didnt even want them playing for other teams on off weekends.

Jun 21, 2012
But you just said she doesn't pitch much. How can you expect someone who is trying to become a pitcher to just hang around a team for a couple of innings a weekend? She will never get better that way. If she is #5-6, I doubt you will miss her that much anyway.

5-6 pitchers is way to many for a FP team, you're just asking for trouble and you'll never keep all parties happy.

I'd let her go and test the water, it may work out better for her and for your team.

Note: If this was my ace or #2 pitcher.........I'd have a problem with it.

She doesn't pitch much, but I never said she doesn't play elsewhere. She is our starting left fielder,so it's not like she isn't playing at all.

And she definitely is not as good as she must think she is.

We have 3-4 pretty decent pitchers...there's a clear #1 and #2 and the #3 and #4 are comparable with one another.

Apr 9, 2012
Sounds like theres more to the story.

Id bet she and her parents already discussed mound time on several occassions with the coaches. Seeing they are not going to get the time she wants they have been looking at options already. Coach knowing she wants to pitch is expecting her to look elsewhere as well.

If another team is willing to give her what she wants and the current team can not then naturally shell eventually leave.

I am all for commitments. But their are times when 1) A girl is not happy and seeks out other opportunity. thats ok as its her game and her future. 2) An unhappy player can destroy a team so it may be better this way. 3) A coach makes a decision to let a girl go on her own terms as he can not help them achieve their goals.

All part of the game. This doesnt sound like player stealing and shes not the ace so its probably better for the team this way. let her cut herself and leave our egos out of it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse