Player shoving a fan, going to far?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
First of all before any of you assume that what you hear was said, you might want to take a listen to some of the audio. Orr did call Smart a, "piece of crap." He did not mention a racial slur. Again, just do your research and you won't hear any racial slur. Every person in the area around Orr has now been interviewed. Not one said that Orr uttered a racial slur. The tech guys filming and doing audio at that basket also did not hear a racial slur. They have turned over all of the audio and only "piece of crap" can be discerned from the audio.

I'm not defending Orr. Instead, I am stating that the claims of racial attacks have not been verified at all while what Orr told others that he said at the time is exactly what has turned up on the audio. Now, we need, as a society to determine then if that is enough to warrant all of these responses. I've been to many MLB games and that comment is mild. The U. of Missouri removed their "Antlers" cheering section for uttering crude comments. Good for the U. of Missouri. Claims made about racial slurs is serious business and should be treated as such. No evidence exist that it happened.

Per the punishment, Smart has such a good reputation that I think 3 games is too much. IMO, 1 game and/OR community service would fit the bill for me. In fact, community service in lieu of suspension is what I wish would have happened. The community and Smart would both benefit from that. JMHO!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
As an FYI, I was just watching the news and they reported that there was, "an extensive investigation into this incident" and that the one thing said was "piece of crap." The news focused as much on the audio support to verify exactly what was said. This after one of the pundits made the assertion of a racial slur. The other pundits absolutely gunned that down.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Who cares what was said? They are words. They are supposed to be an adult, they need to act like it. Any attempt to justify this is pitiful.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Mess with a warrior while he is in battle, you deserve what you get. What if it was the other way around, Smart calling Orr a piece of crap while he is busy in air traffic control.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Who cares what was said? They are words. They are supposed to be an adult, they need to act like it. Any attempt to justify this is pitiful.

Do you really believe that they are just words? If they were the words often reported and not verified then, a hate crime has been committed. I have not justified anything at all. I have stated facts as opposed to hyperbole. Guess that makes me "pitiful."

Last edited:
May 14, 2010
I want to make sure I understand this correctly. The 19yr old athlete is being held to a higher moral and ethical standard than the middle aged loser?

Is the athlete wrong for going back or for touching the loser? What if the athlete would have closed on the loser and just said "You're a pathetic piece of trash reaching emotional satisfaction by degrading a teenager"? Would that have been more acceptable? It would have been the truth.

Is it any wonder America is failing in it's responsibility to it's next generation?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd