Silly Question of the Day: Define "Hustle" to a 10U player?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I really take a lot of time and pride to prepare for my practices...Communicating in terms kids don't understand or in esoteric terms make learning for the player nearly impossible.

I have learned in 20+ years of coaching that the worst thing a coach can do is assume anything! i.e. don't assume they know what the strike zone is or that it changes with every umpire.

So anyway...

I'm having indoor fielding practice with my 12U team today and you hear plenty of "nice hustle" "great hustle" "how to hustle" My girlies were flyin' today!

The 10U practice follows mine...one of the new 10U players comes up to me after practice and asked me what hustle is.

I felt like The Grinch when Cindy Lou Who asked him "Santie Claus, why? Why are you taking our Christmas tree? Why?"

[Rest of the scene]
Narrator: But do you know, that old Grinch was so smart and so slick, that he thought up a lie and he thought it up quick.
Grinch: Why my sweet little tot...
Narrator: The fake Santie Claus lied...
Grinch: ...there's a light on this tree that won't light on one side. So I'm taking it home to my workshop, my dear. I'll fix it up there, then I'll bring it back here.
Narrator: And his fib fooled the child. Then he patted her head...

I'm not gonna say what I told her..I didn't lie...but I'd love to hear how you would explain hustle to a 10U player...

TIA

CP

Nov 29, 2009
Tell her that hustle is her very best effort on every play she makes.

When I work with 10's and I see a kid give a poor effort I don't yell at them or give them an ear full of nonsense. What I'll do is calmly ask them. Suzie, was that your best effort? Most times they know they if they were not giving it and say so. Then I tell her she owes her best effort all the time to herself and to the rest of their teammates. If they say yes, then I will tell them I didn't think it was because I've seen them do better and I KNOW they can give a better effort. I always try to not make it about me, but about the team.

I found it works best when the young kids feel like you as the coach believe in them and they'll want to please you because of it.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Ever play fetch with a dog? That is hustle.

I did a defensive skills presentation for DD1's 14U team tonight...

I gave them the the same scenario as my OP...lots of answers similar to what was responded to here...

I gave them YOUR answer and a few light bulbs went ON!

I owe you a beer...or 4 :)

CP

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd