Player Shortages

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
I see that at least 10 teams in the local area at this late date--and in ONE age group--are looking for players.
I see similar patterns in coaches looking for players, such as at age 18, at the last minute, ie day before tournament. I am not including younger 'start-ups' at ages 8-12.

1. Is the cause the economy?

2. Is it the "playing up" phenomenon?

3. Is it the fact we have 13u, 15u or too many age groups?

4. Aside from the adage that the girls have other things to do (distractions as we say), is it too time-consuming? Do the girls leave because the year-long commitment is too much?

5. Is it causing too much stress, whether from girls themselves or coaches/parents?

6. Are we less loyal as parents/players to one org., (and they to us) as we would be in the past?

Solutions:

Should we not have age groups for every age (for example, should it just be 14-18 in one to match HS?)

????

Last edited:
May 26, 2010
Central NJ
I'm not sure about the cause of the shortage. I don't think having 18U be 14 - 18 is the solution, though. There is a big difference between an 18 year old girl and a 14 year old girl, both physically and emotionally. Even in HS there is varsity, junior varsity, and freshman teams. I believe having age groups two years apart (8U, 10U, 12U, 14U, 16U, and 18U) is still the best.

Jul 26, 2010
Could be multiple reasons.

First of all, A ball teams already had tryouts and team selections a month or two ago, so the cream of the crop is already taken. I am seeing a lot of hardship issues based on the economy this year, and have four girls from my fall team who won't be returning for this same reason. It's also hard to recruit right now because of the first reason, and the fact that many girls are involved in basketball, the holidays just past, and the idea of yet another financial commitment isn't something parents want to consider. Your best bet is to recruit from the local rec league when it starts up.

-W

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The life cycle of Daddy-Daughter teams is as certain as the seasons of they year.

A Daddy puts together a bunch of kids for a 10U team. The same kids are together for 12U. At 14U, kids start dropping out of softball, so Daddy is scrambling to find replacements by recruiting more players. At 16U more kids are leaving, so Daddies steal kids from other Daddy teams--using the promise of playing time or "college connections" to lure in parents. At 18U, most of the teams have died an undignified death.

Apr 25, 2010
I can tell you in our area, I believe it because of an overabundance of teams. It seems like, all of a sudden, there are a million new orgs/teams sprouting up around here and it's causing havoc. Almost every organization within driving distance of me is having a helluva time filling a 12u roster because of the amount of teams. So, instead of having a few full, strong rosters, you have a bunch of short rosters. And many of these new teams are not B material, let alone travel material.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I can tell you in our area, I believe it because of an overabundance of teams.

TB has been watered down in our area, especially in the 10U and 12U. 14U is a little better,
but overall there are 4-6 teams/tournament that are guaranteed a quick exit on Sunday

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
I see that at least 10 teams in the local area at this late date--and in ONE age group--are looking for players.
I see similar patterns in coaches looking for players, such as at age 18, at the last minute, ie day before tournament. I am not including younger 'start-ups' at ages 8-12.

1. Is the cause the economy?

2. Is it the "playing up" phenomenon?

3. Is it the fact we have 13u, 15u or too many age groups?

4. Aside from the adage that the girls have other things to do (distractions as we say), is it too time-consuming? Do the girls leave because the year-long commitment is too much?

5. Is it causing too much stress, whether from girls themselves or coaches/parents?

6. Are we less loyal as parents/players to one org., (and they to us) as we would be in the past?

Speaking from personal experience I think the reasons are all of the above.
But that's the beauty of travel ball.
When a coach cannot fill his/her team, that team will fold and those players will be available for other teams that are looking.
There is something out there for every level of player.
It also depends on what a player is looking for.
In our case, once my kid became a second year 14U the focus was solely on getting a college scholarship.
DD only played for programs that were geared towards that. We skipped 16U and went straight to 18 because the level of competition was higher.
She has friends who play travel ball for the fun and the competition but they are not that interested in whether they play in college and the teams that they play for reflect this mentality.

As far as player shortages go, the best teams will survive and the others will fold. It's the American way, or at least it used to be.

There is something for everyone.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
1) yeah for me way too many travel teams with promises of being elite...the thing is not every team can be elite
2)now for me also way too many daddy coaches...i don't have a daughter yet i coach softball at the HS level..can't afford to put out money for my own travel team yet when i try to coach I am always told we don't need coaches we need players

Jul 1, 2010
Way too many teams in our area (North Texas). All are looking for "a couple more" which usually translates to "we need a bracket pitcher and/or a catcher". Oh well, I suppose at least at 10 and 12U more is better than not enough. Cream will rise to the top and time will sort it out.