Player just not fitting in

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 15, 2016
So my DD joined a new team this fall. It was supposed to be an elite team. I was unsure at first, but we eventually accepted a position with the team due to an organization owner reaching out and telling us that this was where my DD belonged. I respected his opinion and followed his advice. Their older teams are nationally ranked.

Fast forward to the end of season. Yes, the team has won plenty of games, but they are anything but elite. They have purposefully played in weak tournaments to win it all. Anytime they face A competition they lose. The losses look like coaching ineptitude on base running, not knowing players strengths and weaknesses, throwing the wrong pitcher, not knowing when to pull a pitcher, and the list goes on. The fundamentals I would expect to see just arent there. The players have no idea how to run bases and are 100% reliant on the coaches to tell them what to do. The kids arent learning the game and to think for themselves. Half the team throws a poor fundamental side arm throw, fielding the ball is hap hazard, and the kids have no clue situationally what to do. Practice is few and far between because the coaches scheduled a tournament every weekend for two months.

The players are shuffled around all over the field with no static positions all in the name of being versatile players for college. My DD is so frustrated she wants to throw in the towel. She is a good middle infielder and pitcher. I feel like she has been shortchanged all through the fall with lack of playing time and being in right field most of the time and only a few innings at short, second, and pitcher. I dont understand this type of player shuffle. Why would you not use your players consistently in their dominant position before subbing them out to give others an opportunity. This player shuffle feels like little league's " let's give everyone the same opportunity to play all positions."

So my question is, is this type of player shuffle what I should expect? Because if it is, I know my DD is just done. Neither me nor her have an issue with her earning a spot, she just hasn't been able to. It feels like there is no means to earn anything and so she just acts like, why should she bother to do anything when there is no way to earn more playing time.

May 6, 2015
i would run.... sounds like trophy chasing. you did not mention an age group, but I would assume on the younger side, because I cannot see even weaker teams losing to teams without fundamentals.

ands as far as rotating, for a givn weekend, each player should have 2, at most 3 position they will be playing. in can vary weekend to weekend, but only if they get coaching and pratice reps at new position inbetween. we see a little of that on our current 12u team, but not necessarily with DD, she plays 75% of innings behing the plate, will then play either 3B or OF generally.

Apr 15, 2016
Its 14u.

There has been no position practices. As I mentioned practices only occurred before games began because the tournaments were back to back for two months. Even when they did hold practice they didnt actually take infield to work on situations and players were not slotted to positions for situational practice.

Some kids didnt get the full rotation play though. Some kids only had to play one position for an entire weekend. Others though were all over. Or on the bench... none of it made sense though. One kid played all weekend at 3rd base then spent the championship game on the bench. Not my kid, but I could tell she was upset and had no idea why she had been benched. Just clueless...

May 6, 2015
Its 14u.

There has been no position practices. As I mentioned practices only occurred before games began because the tournaments were back to back for two months. Even when they did hold practice they didnt actually take infield to work on situations and players were not slotted to positions for situational practice.

Some kids didnt get the full rotation play though. Some kids only had to play one position for an entire weekend. Others though were all over. Or on the bench... none of it made sense though. One kid played all weekend at 3rd base then spent the championship game on the bench. Not my kid, but I could tell she was upset and had no idea why she had been benched. Just clueless...

dont worry that you cannot figure out someone else's insane plan. just move on.

Oct 4, 2018
Its 14u.

What you describe sounds like our 10U team.

And for 10U, I think it's fine. At 9 and 10 years old, I like them to try many positions, learn positions, and we as parents and coaches work with them to discover what they like and what they are good at.

But even our 10U B team has pretty set positions for bracket games. And about half of them run the bases very well with little coaching.

And only one throws side-arm and we're breaking her of it.

Time for a new team?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So my DD joined a new team this fall. It was supposed to be an elite team. I was unsure at first, but we eventually accepted a position with the team due to an organization owner reaching out and telling us that this was where my DD belonged. I respected his opinion and followed his advice. Their older teams are nationally ranked.

i.e. they saw your cash and another player they could whack on one of their lower teams walking away.

Why would you let someone else pick what coaches and team your daughter plays on? "His #1 team is nationally ranked but the team my DD is on isn't". We send players from our org to college X.... I mean not the team your DD is on -but feel free to feel great you are supporting someone else's dream. Let me dangle a carrot to make you think that one day it might be your DD!!!

--Long rant on playing time and DD not getting playing time deleted--

So my question is, is this type of player shuffle what I should expect? Because if it is, I know my DD is just done. Neither me nor her have an issue with her earning a spot, she just hasn't been able to. It feels like there is no means to earn anything and so she just acts like, why should she bother to do anything when there is no way to earn more playing time.

Go find another team. Simple as that. You don't like the current coaching - fine - but there are also things mentioned that you SHOULD have known before joining the team such as practice schedules (everyone plays at least twice a month - but that still means for most teams 2 weekday practices a week or equivalent). You think your DD deserves more time - no problem, go find some team that will give her that. There is nothing wrong with changing teams (preferably at commitment/seasons end but sometimes not) to find the best fit for your DD.

You need to do your research - you see lots of teams at tournaments that could be fits - figure out which coaches might be the best fit or which teams needs her skillset to help them be more competitive.

Frankly shuffling players isn't your issue - elite teams do it all the time - and the better the team, the less drop off when the #2 or #3 at a position rotates in for the probable best player at that position. My DD plays all over the infield and occasionally the OF when she isn't pitching - I am surprised there isn't a pool for what position she is headed for when she comes out of the dugout.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
This doesn't sound like the problem here.
Let’s wait and see what the answer is first? If the HC is a dad who’s really NOT a coach, but somehow managed to get the HC position to ensure his DD gets playing time and a prime playing spot..........that can definitely explain the root of the problem (He don’t know how to coach).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz