Play catch vs. Have a Catch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 28, 2008
If I over heard 2 ball players asking to just go outside and have fun throwing and catching, with nobody around to "critique" every step, every wrist action, every knee bend, they did it just to have fun enjoying the act ... I'd jump up and down for JOY and it wouldn't matter what their words were. "My hat is off to" or "I tip my cap to" whatever girl prompted this question.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
This is a fun question. I grew up playing ball in New England and our family always said "have a catch". Others in town said "play catch".

Does anyone know when a "boat" becomes a "ship"?;)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
This is a fun question. I grew up playing ball in New England and our family always said "have a catch". Others in town said "play catch".

Does anyone know when a "boat" becomes a "ship"?;)

I'm New England born and bred and we played catch and ate subs (cold) and grinders (hot) and drank soda, no hoagies, heroes, or pop.

From The Straight Dope: What's the difference between a boat and a ship? "Among sailing vessels, the distinction between ships and boats is that a ship is a square-rigged craft with at least three masts, and a boat isn't. With regard to motorized craft, a ship is a large vessel intended for oceangoing or at least deep-water transport, and a boat is anything else. But that's too much to remember. Try this: ships have to be big enough to carry boats, and boats have to be small enough to be carried by ships"

Apr 25, 2010
Born and raised here in NE Ohio. I play catch, drink pop, splash in the crik, shingles are on the roof (not ruuf), Dawn and Don are audibly different names, I eat subs (hot or cold), and unless specified... iced tea is served unsweetened.

Jan 4, 2011
When i hear the words "play catch," i think of my daughter at club pratice going through drill work.When i hear "have a catch,"I think of her and i out back throwing the ball around b sing about the day and life(good quality time).

Apr 1, 2010
Here in western Missouri, we play catch. When I hear "have a catch", I think about a snag or hang-up in something or a fisherman who's got a fish.

Also, lessee (let's see)...I wait in line, not on line. I might say pop or soda or soda pop. Actually I request and drink Diet Pepsi (or Diet Coke if I can't get the elixir of the gods.). If you aren't specific, you might be served any darned thing. ;-) I would normally say creek, but might say crik for fun. I pronounce often as awf'n. Dawn and Don sound the same, as do pen and pin.

I eat subs--never knew of them while I was growing up (sandwiches are what my family called all combinations of meat and/or cheese on bread), but when places like Subway, Mr. Goodcents Subs and Pasta and Planet Sub popped up, there really wasn't much doubt what to call them. I had never heard of bagels either till I went to college; oh, but I loved them when I found them.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Well here in Georgia (pronounced jowja) we don't have any wierd sayings. We play catch also. When I first heard "have a catch" in Field of Dreams, I just thought some producer or writer didn't know what they were talking about... untill I heard it on this forum.

My wife is from Michigan, and I did have to educate her on a few things when we first dated though. Things like when we go somewhere to git a coke you can actually have any kind of soft drink (high society speek) you want. Fix'n can mean repair'n or gittin' ready to do somethin' (G's are silent, by the way) as in I'm fix'n to git me a coke. Y'all can be singular or plural. Cat-head biskits refer to the size not taste.

But wadaIno I'm jus' sayin'... ;)

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
My wife is from Michigan, and I did have to educate her on a few things when we first dated though. Things like when we go somewhere to git a coke you can actually have any kind of soft drink (high society speek) you wantBut wadaIno I'm jus' sayin'... ;)

Naw, nevah confuse a coke with a pepper. Then again there was always RC!

Always drank a soda, never a pop. After all, Pop is with whom I was "having a catch":cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles