Play catch vs. Have a Catch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
Here is a question, that although might not be on the top of any serious discussion on softball, but still needs to be explored. I guess it might be a regional thing. Is it:
Sally, do want to go outside and "Play Catch"? Or, Sally, do you want to go outside and "Have a catch"? I've always said "Have a catch". I'm from Southeastern PA. When I lived in Hawaii and said "Have a catch" everyone looked at me like I was speaking another language. What is eveyone's opinion?
D'E

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have never used “have a catch”, heard it in Africa. I thought it was a UK language thing, I knew what they meant.

Feb 16, 2011
I say "Play Catch". My DD thought it was funny to say Dad want to "Have a Catch" for a brief period of time after she heard it in Field of Dreams, but that didn't last long!

Mar 13, 2010
I would say 'have a catch'. Play catch is something I would think of as an American thing.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
In the Northeast we Play Catch.

on a side note..When I was a kid I had some friends who were from Montreal (this was maybe the Expos first year in MLB) and they didn't "throw" the ball, they would "shoot" the ball. I still remember how bizarre it seemed when one of them would tell the pitcher to "shoot it here!"

Jan 18, 2011
I'm from southeastern PA, near Susquehanna river. Lived here my whole life and and have always said "play catch." Can't say ever hearing anyone say "have a catch."

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Always has been, "Dad, wanna have a catch?" Then again, where I come from you go to the beach, where to OP comes from, they go to the shore. And again, the town of Jersey Shore is NOT in New Jersey, but is in NorthCentral PA where the only body of water is.....the Susquehanna River! Go figure. ;)

Can we now discuss the difference between creek and crick when discussing a stream? :rolleyes:

Oct 19, 2009
In Ohio it's "play catch". I too never heard "have a catch" till the movie Field of Dreams. I figured it was some goofy Kevin Costner thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22