play at the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2008
What is the proper location for the cather to receive the ball on a play at the plate. This past weekend in game she was called for blocking the plate without the ball. In doing research I realiz that the rule has been changed that you must have the ball in order to block the plate. So were should see set up to take the throw?

Thanks!

On a sidenote......I am pretty hard on my kid. But does anything make you prouder then her catching all 6 games with some pitchers that throw like a 12U pitcher. She is all beat up but only gave up 2 pass balls in 3 days. Ithink some of these pitchers that complain should get behind the plate and try to do what cathers do. They might have a different understanding! LOL

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
You will have a lot of opinions on this subject. We have gone to college catching camps where the coach instructs their catchers to stand over the plate. My opinion (and what I instruct my catchers) is to be inside the baseline and two to three feet towards third. While the technique to make the tag is different for RH and LH catchers... The goal is to stay clear of a collision, make the tag and and then come up quickly looking for another out. The picture sequence below was taken this weekend and demonstrates this concept. The throw in was close to the plate and required the catcher to set up back farther than what we normally like to see. (It is very important to make sure your fielders learn to practice throwing to your set up position to the third base side of the plate) The result was an out at the plate and the runner coming into third put on the brakes and held up the catcher focused in on her...

If you haven't yet, I would suggest getting the "A Coach's Guide Guide to training Catchers" from The New England Catching Camp. It is the most complete catchers' skills instruction video I think you will find and is geared to train the coach in training catchers.
Best Regards, Chaz in KC.

P1310703 copy..jpg P1310704 copy..jpg P1310705 copy..jpg

Apr 24, 2010
1. The catcher should be in the front of the plate in a good athletic position (you'll be amazed how many catchers I see standing waiting for the ball with their hands on their hips) ready to receive the ball.
2. As a general rule for my catchers, I have them stand about 2 feet in front of the plate towards the pitcher.
3. Their left foot 8 to 12 inches off the 3rd base line with their toes pointing towards third base (if they are in a good athletic position this is a given).

This gives the runner their base path without any question.
It allows the catcher to put a good block on the plate that is ahead of the plate and forces the runner to the backside of the plate. This helps eliminate the close calls by the plate umpire if the runner is stopped 12 inches from the plate.
Not going to go into any details regarding blocking.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish